ISP throttling; noticed some peers bypass it

Schism

My ISP apparently has started throttling my uploads about 6 months ago, at first forcing encryption got around it, but now even with that on average I get around 30kb/s upload when I had been getting 130kb/s (1.5mbps advertised upload) but I have noticed a few peers I'm uploading to bypass the throttling on occasion... I've tried a few different settings when I was on utorrent 1.8.4 but from what I read I needed one of the beta versions with certain new features. I'm now using uTorrent 2.0 and was wondering what settings should I be trying? I've noticed most of the peers that bypass throttling use [uTP] and flags U HEP or U HXEP.

Any ideas on what settings I should try?

throttling.jpg

Above is a screenshot I took from the peers.

Choose FORCED encryption outgoing, and disable legacy (unencrypted) connections incoming.

You might want to experiment with allowing incoming legacy (unencrypted) connections to see if that's a little faster.

bt.connect_speed set to its default of 20 new outgoing connection peer/seed attempts per second could be too high, try 1-4 instead.

Leave net.max_halfopen set to 8.

DISABLE: UPnP, NAT-PMP LPD, DHT (both kinds!), and Resolve IPs (right-click in PEERS window on an active torrent).

Keep Peer Exchange enabled...it should be encrypted due to above settings.

Reduce global and per torrent connections to less than 100. This is partly to hide from the ISP and partially to reduce bandwidth wastes.

2nd link in my signature, 1 megabit/sec upload settings for everything else.

I don't know what I need... I just find that sometimes uTP connections bypass ISP throttling, but I'm not sure how to replicate it on any regular basis...

There are no tracker issues that I'm aware of.

How do I force it to make more outgoing uTP connections? I tried the bt.transp_disposition = 10 thing but the uTP connections didn't seem to get the better speed.

I called my ISP and they flat out told me they were throttling bittorrent, and there was no specific trigger for the throttling, just that they were targeting the protocol itself... isn't this against the law? They're a smaller ISP with ~1000 customers last I heard, though they are a fixed wireless company, so I'm not sure if they're subject to the same law as other ISPs that use cable/dsl/fiber.

ComCast wasn't throttling per se, they were forging/corrupting data packets to cause connections to spontaneously disconnect. And they were doing it to MORE than just BitTorrent, which is part of the reason they got in trouble in the first place. And they weren't telling anyone they were doing it...they were denying it even after it was mentioned by national news agencies.

Archived