Map a port...testing port shows error has occurred...download slow.

huntersprodigy

When utorrent is downloading (the speed is extremely slow, some torrents have been standing for over three weeks and still at 0.0%) there is a white exclamation mark in a red circle saying 'Not Connectable. A firewall/router is limiting your network traffic. You need to open up a port so others can connect to you' at the bottom of the uTorrent window.

I am running Avira Antivir Personal Anitvirus software but there is no mention of a firewall/router being used by that and if there was I don't know how to change it's setting.

Windows XP firewall at:

>Start Menu

>Control Panel

>Windows Firewall

is turned on, which is recommended, to turn it off, is not recommended, so I didn't. Under the tab 'Exceptions' uTorrent is ticked. Any suggestions?

I went onto uTorrent:

> Options

> Speed Guide

> Test if port is forwarded properly

and the answer was:

http://www.utorrent.com/testport?port=49570

Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker

A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is open.

Checking port 49570 on 122.0.20.98...

An error has occurred!An error has occurred!

Port 49570 does not appear to be open.

Please see www.portforward.com for more information if you need to map a port.

Please make absolutely sure that PeerGuardian 2 or Protowall is allowing utorrent.com (72.20.52.46) in either of those programs. Those of you using ipfilter.dat should make sure the list does not include the website's IP. After making sure of this, re-run this test by refreshing the page (F5).

I don't have PeerGuardian 2 or Protowall installed, or at least not to my knowledge is it installed,so this can't be it. Clicking on www.portforward.com was useless as after reading it all, the suggestion was to buy software.

I went back to uTorrent:

>Options

>Preferences

>Connection

>Random Port

>Apply

>OK

>Options

>Speed Guide

>Test if port is forwarded properly

and the answer was the same as above. I ran the test a number of times after choosing:

>Options

>Preferences

>Connection

>Random Port

>Apply

>OK

and still the answer was the same after testing different random ports. Any suggestions?

To check the speed I ran the speed test of my laptop using Internet Speed Test 1.3 http://download.cnet.com/Internet-Speed-Test/3000-2086_4-10440114.html?tag=mncol

and the upload speed came back as an average of 62.25kbps after running the speed test numerous times so I entered this on:

>Options

>Speed Guide

>Connection Type

>xx/64k

is this the correct speed to enter onto uTorrent?

After doing all of this and starting the downloads again, only a number of the downloads are coming through and the speed is slow, again being 0.0% on a number of downloads.

The white exclamation mark in the red circle saying 'Not Connectable. A firewall/router is limiting your network traffic. You need to open up a port so others can connect to you' is still there.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Upload Speed Test Result

Your current upload speed is:

49.66kbps

which means you can upload at 6.21 KB/sec to our servers.

28.8 kbps dial-up

33.6 kbps dial-up

49.66 kbps YOU

53.3 kbps dial-up

56 kbps ISDN

128 kbps ISDN

384 kbps DSL

768 kbps DSL

1000 kbps DSL

1500 kbps DSL/T1/Cable Modem

If you have trouble performing speed tests, visit our forum at GoToMyHelp.com

This is what the answer was, so can you differentiate between whether this is kilobitspersecond or kilobytes and which speed to check on uTorrent.

That's the lowest it came back with, the other being 62.25kbps, and that is why I'm asking about the message at the bottom of uTorrent when it is downloading regarding a firewall/router limiting network traffic and needing to open a port as mentioned on my first message and also after running the test to see if the port is forwarded properly it comes back as port error.

Archived