Why intrusion attempts when logged on to Utorrent?

bigdood

Sorry about the newbie-type question, but I have 35 intrusion attempts reported in the last hour by my N360 -- Null scan (port scans?). How concerned should I be? Looks like N360 is picking them up and blocking them, but I am sure it ain't gonna report one that got through! Thanks in advance for any replies. I really appreciate it. It's only happening when I am logged onto Utorrent.

TY DreadWingKnight -- I kind of thought so, it's been awhile since I have DLd p2p files (about 10 years ago!) and so much has happened since then... didn't know if something new was happening since then, and I am too damned old to remember what happened "then" anyway! :-) (first computer was an Atari 800XL -- still have it!) I appreciate the answer... And GTHK, are you suggesting that I just scrap N360 altogether? If so, what do you recommend instead? TY in advance for the response -- (I am the oldest newbie on uTorrent...) :-) PEACE from an O.H. -- bigdood

If you have a router, then plain anti-virus and being smart about what you download (Avira, plus a tweak so it doesn't nag) is good. Anything else that passed the AV Comparatives test or Virus Bulletin should be alright. If you don't have a router, Comodo Firewall is the most well behaved firewall I know, but I wouldn't use their anti-virus. If you don't want tons of computer numbing control though then Windows Firewall oughta be enough, and make sure you Win Update... Instructions for configuring Comodo are here: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=292343#p292343

Norton is so bad they have that extra utility in order to COMPLETELY remove it.

Archived