Opera 9 Technical Preview 2 / Opera Labs

splintax

Just thought I would post in here to let you all know about the new Opera beta..

It's freaking awesome, with a whole bunch of features like widgets, tab preview images, a search editor and content blocker. I know a lot of the stuff is available as Firefox extensions, but none of those come close to having it integrated into the webbrowser itself (not to mention that Opera tends to be a lot more resource friendly than Firefox!)

You can download TP2 at:

http://labs.opera.com

or have a quick look at the little review I did (just on first sight) here:

http://splintax.blogspot.com/2006/02/opera-labs-and-opera-9-tp2.html

Seriously, some of you Firefox fans should give it a try.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firefox 0wns y'all! :P

Meh, I've just tried it on a few sites, and it still doesn't render stuff properly. :| Like BeyondUnreal. In Firefox, the background is "dynamic", so even when you scroll down the page, it "follows" you. But in Opera the background is "glued" to the top and doesn't "move" at all. Just a minor glitch I know (and yes Firefox has its own quirks), but it irritates me. Not bad for the second-best browser, though. ;)

Edit: typo.

funny.. i'll never leave my browser minimized for seeding a torrent or downloading anything.. browse and close..

there are special programs for anything else.. opera is not doing its job as a browser correct (as 1c3d0g said) and u want it to be a bitorrent client or whatever

splintax: what took you so long? I was counting on you to post the minute it came out. :P

heh, well I had to work ;)

I agree with you hofshi - the modularity is nice, but the fact remains that even a totally clean Firefox is slower than Opera. Why stick with Firefox just because it doesn't have the features you want when you can try them out in Opera and get faster performance anyway? :)

oh, and a couple new awesome features: Gmail now works correctly with RTF support, and tab previews :)

edit: It still doesn't do any better on the Acid2 test (there are one or two bugs left, since I'm not sure if the nose is meant to flash blue on mouseover) but the rendering engine is improved somewhat. I think that Gecko (Firefox's rendering engine) just has a better "quirks mode" than Opera - that is, it renders poorly-written pages better; Opera will render all standards-compliant pages perfectly, as should Firefox...

I guess its hard for others to think that way when they've been so "comfortable" with a browser for so long. I made my switch to Opera from Maxthon. That was even uncomfortable for me, being so familiar w/ Maxthon. However, during that switch, I also gave FF a chance and it was by far the worst browsing experience I've ever encountered...slow/late in responding, heavy, too many extensions to download to get what I want, etc...Not to mention that Opera was far prettier. Not trying to start yet another "Battle of the browsers", but you guys that havent should try it exclusively for a fair amount of time. Could take weeks to finally get used to, but in the end, you're almost sure to agree that its better overall.

It's freaking awesome, with a whole bunch of features like widgets, tab preview images, a search editor and content blocker. I know a lot of the stuff is available as Firefox extensions, but none of those come close to having it integrated into the webbrowser itself (not to mention that Opera tends to be a lot more resource friendly than Firefox!)

May you explain to me the uses of these features? Even in FF I didn't understand what's the point of tab previewing, content blocking and the search editor.

Also I can't quite get the hang of when it opens a new tab in a new browser window.

Edit: Nevermind about the opening tabs part. Just found out they changed the shortcut

one of the uses that are important for me in FF is checking Gmail accounts. For that use there is a nice extension called "Gmail manager" which allows to check multiple accounts simultaneously, and easily access each one of them:

http://www.longfocus.com/firefox/gmanager/

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&id=1320

Last time I tried Opera, I couldn't find something that would function the same.

Has the situation changed? If so, I might give Opera a second chance.

funny.. i'll never leave my browser minimized for seeding a torrent or downloading anything.. browse and close..

there are special programs for anything else.. opera is not doing its job as a browser correct (as 1c3d0g said) and u want it to be a bitorrent client or whatever

1c3d0g obviously didn't set his browser up right. Opera renders that site just fine. The only pages that give you trouble are the ones with non standard M$ bullsh*t....exactly the same pages firefox trips over

BTW: before some clowns start calling me Opera fanboy...I'm using FF since 0.7xx and now Deer Park 1.5 since 1.61 nightlies still keep crashing

@boo: I don't think Opera's BT-implimentation will ever pose a "threat" to µTorrent since it uses it's old low-grafic, low-information download system. I woud see it more as a convenience piece for guys that can't be bothered installing a client but learn that their fav. software is distributet via BT

@hofshi: I use GMail manager and I would't want to miss it. I haven't seen anything like that in Opera. But you might want to take a look at "PoP-Peeper" instead. It's a litte POP3 Checker which periodically checks all your mail accounts (even Hotmail and Yahoo!!) click me

-DG

When you scroll down all the way to the end of the page...

Firefox:

firefox6lt.th.png

Opera:

opera5gm.th.png

...where's the background in the second image? :/ As you can see, I'm not bullshitting - that's exactly how it renders BeyondUnreal on my PC. And if "I didn't set up my browser properly", please, enlighten me on how to do so. :|

I see where hofshi is coming from, and admit that that is the #1 advantage of Firefox. I'm definitely all for these kind of extensions, but things like AdBlock IMO should not be implemented as extensions. This, FYI, is what Opera's "content blocker" is, basically the same as Firefox's AdBlock extension, it allows you to block content from certain sites like ads, flash etc. (Not that I use it, since I usually don't mind looking at/clicking on ads and supporting the proprietors..)

I'm not sure of a similar Gmail extension, though I'd imagine you could set up a gmail login button on your personal bar, then just use Wand (ctrl+enter or other key/mouse combo) and after entering all your usernames and passwords the first time, you'd just be able to pick one or the other. I question why you need multiple Gmail accounts though :P

I guess its hard for others to think that way when they've been so "comfortable" with a browser for so long.

Definitely, I'd known about Opera and other browsers (this is a while before Firefox became popular, but Opera was the first "alternative" browser I heard about) for at least a year before I could be bothered switching from IE, since you "don't really need to". At the time tabbed browsing wasn't something I thought I needed, but I couldn't live without it now.

How do you use the bittorrent in opera (not that I would, just curious).

If you click a .torrent file, Opera should auto-begin the BitTorrent download. You can disable it in opera:config (type that into the address bar); personally I have .torrents set to transparently redirect to µTorrent, it doesn't even maximize from the systray when adding a new torrent. :)

May you explain to me the uses of these features? Even in FF I didn't understand what's the point of tab previewing, content blocking and the search editor.

Tab previewing is kinda useless, granted, well at least for most people - when hovering over a tab you can get Opera to display a "preview" image of the content of that tab. You can also set an advanced option to display that preview in the CTRL+Tab menu.

The search editor allows you to configure "quick searches", I think Firefox already has this feature through an extension of some sort, where typing for example "g stuff" in the address bar would search Google for "stuff". You can now set up different search engines and different keywords (like "g" for google, "i" for imdb etc) without mucking around with .ini files, like I used to...

I question why you need multiple Gmail accounts though tongue

1. multiple users of the same computer

2. account for regular emails, and an account for sites you don't fully trust but require registering

BTW, the Gmail manager extension is far more convenient then using the Opera Wand or the FF equivalent of the Wand, since it also functions as a real time notifier for all Gmail accounts. Give it a try.

Edit: here is a short summary of features:

Manage multiple Gmail accounts

Receive new mail notifications

Tooltip with account details including new mail snippets

One-click access for loading Gmail in a tab/window

Mailto: links detection

Quick mail compose menu for Gmail accounts

Customizable icon placement in the statusbar or toolbar area

Archived