Opera 9 Technical Preview 2 / Opera Labs

splintax

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got curious and tested it too. I have the bug also. What he's talking about is when you scroll to the bottom of the screen the transparent image in the background doesn't stay fixed while the text scrolls on top of it.

In Opera the image will scroll right off the screen.

I always thought FF felt 'snappier' on certain things than Opera. I tried to like Opera 8 but I got annoyed at the fact it took longer to load up certain pages and had rendering issues with stuff like gmail (since fixed, but I'm not convinced the browser is any faster yet).

have been using it for a day now and gotta say its got alot of new improvements and seems to be running even better than the old 8.5. still lightning fast rendering pages even better than both IE and Firefox aswell as being far more secure and nowhere near as resource hogging.

Opera 4 life

SledgeDG: I haven't blocked JavaScript at all in Opera, and I specifically double-checked to make sure it's still enabled before posting those images. What I have done though is block other types of scripts in Winbloze from executing (this was a looong time ago), you know, .vbs and and that type of trash...I'm not sure if Opera relies on Winbloze's own "execution engine" or if it has its own...then again, I don't know how scripts works so this is just a stab in the dark really. It must be my setup getting too old...one of these days when I get the time I'll be switching over to Linux for good - and hopefully these annoying errors will burn in hell. :/

Hm... the content blocking thing is kinda nifty, but I found that I couldn't block some things by clicking, ending up having to view source and manually add the URL. Bah, still a very nice release, but I'm too used to Tab Mix's tab management features. If they'd implement *at least* some kind of "Focus [left/right/previous] tab on current tab close" feature (and I guess pick up some other Tab Mix features while at it)... Page rendering is so so. Overall, alright I guess (needs a little more polishing).

@1c3d0g: If you do move on to Linux... you better stick around, even if you can't use µTorrent ;P

2. account for regular emails, and an account for sites you don't fully trust but require registering

I did have a look at the Gmail extension you mentioned and I regret that I didn't find it before Gmail worked fully in Opera. If for any reason I have to go back to FF for Gmail (as I was doing before TP2), I'll make sure I install it. :)

As for signing up on sites you don't fully trust, have you tried the +spam tag on your address name or something like that? Simply enter your email address as username+anything@gmail.com, and the mail will redirect to username@gmail.com - but you can then filter out stuff with the +anything on it. I suggest replacing "anything" with the name of the site you signed up on. :)

What he's talking about is when you scroll to the bottom of the screen the transparent image in the background doesn't stay fixed while the text scrolls on top of it. In Opera the image will scroll right off the screen.

Yep, that's 1c3's problem, nobody else seemed to get it :P I checked out that site, and the problem seems to be with the CSS...

background-image: url(style_ut2007bg.jpg);
background-repeat: no-repeat;
background-position: center top;

(source) I'm not sure if that's correct? Don't you need background-attachment: fixed;? Maybe you should let the site owners know or use some UserJS/CSS to fix it ;)

opera starts faster, loads pretty much at the same speed and takes a lot less system resources.. but still firefox pwnz..

...? :P

I've spent an additional 45 minutes figuring out something like that (no kidding!), and I finally did it. Now Opera looks almost the same as Firefox (with the tabs underneath the main toolbar and the address bar on the side of the toolbar - it still won't go up all the way to the top though). :/ I'll grab a few screenshots when I get the chance.

Edit: here you go. Don't ask me how many hours I've spent eliminating all the clutter from the GUI. Also, what's with the "right-click on item to remove it from the toolbar" crap? In Firefox, I just drag off any button back to where it came from and its gone, without having to do cumbersome movements - that's what I mean with flexibility. :/

firefox4aa.th.png opera5ob.th.png

Now...TBH to Opera, *right now*, as I configured it, it looks very nice, even nicer than Firefox (the theme is colored appropiately and all that). But then, when I look around and notice all my missing extensions (some of which I can't live without anymore, like SpoofStick, NoScript etc.)...I feel alienated from this browser and will have to crawl back to Firefox. :(

I really don't understand why it was so difficult for you guys to change the toolbar appearance, but for any others that try Opera and have trouble:

http://nontroppo.org/wiki/VisualTutorials

Also, here's an article, for those that havent read it already, that may help you decide between FF and Opera, if you're torn that way.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/FirefoxMyths.html

Im giving opera another chance about everytime a discussion like this appears. I do like opera's memory usage, but the toolbar thing pissed me off (and like icedog said, its terribly NON user friendly to rearrange the GUI) so many times.

One more thing about it - can you tell opera NOT to add borders around tabs? If you dont know what im talking about, open www.lpassociation.com for example, in opera and FF. maximize the browser window and see - opera has an extra annoying border around the whole 'frame'.

lol..I imagine it would sound like nonsense to someone that's probably a diehard FF fan. But, is any of it untrue? No. Yet alot of people think those very things about FF...like it revolutionized browsing and leaves all other browsers behind. That, to me, is nonsense.

chaosblade - I still don't understand your frustration with the toolbar customization. I thought it was rather simple and user friendly during my testing phase of Opera. It was different, yes, but easily understood.

As far as the border you're asking about.....the one where the panel toolbar resides??? If so, how is that annoying?

BSH: I do not consider myself "a diehard FF fan", and I'm not sure if FF "revolutionized browsing and leaves all other browsers behind".

I AM sure that FF is the best browser for me, and I AM sure that this article you posted is not objective.

I am almost sure that you see that too. :lol: .

Archived