99.9% problem, and I'm not talking about unseeded torrents

voodoochile

Hi all, I'm hoping for some help with this problem. I'm not sure if this is even a uTorrent problem or something else, but that's why I'm here.

I've been using uTorrent for a couple of years, but in the last several months or year maybe, I have a common problem where torrents will complete, and then I will try to run them or unpack them or whatever, and they will be corrupt. So I do a hash recheck and lo and behold, it drops back to 99.9%. This is happening quite often, on public torrents, private torrents, and for all different things, my most recent being the beta test of a game.

I can just start it again after rechecking, it finishes off properly the second time in just a few minutes, but it's become a nuisance because I can't rely on torrents downloading properly any more. If I download something and then put it on my removeable disk and take it somewhere and then I find that it doesn't work... the fact that it only needs 0.1% isn't any consolation to me because I have to bring it all the way back home and load it up in utorrent again to finish that 0.1%.

Anyone know of this problem or why it may happen? I have a well maintained pc, WinXP, recently reformatted and has a fresh install of XP on it. I download mostly to an external USB hard drive. I would test downloading to my main disk but it's full.

I have a good 20mbit cable connection and I regularly defrag. Thanks in advance!

p.s. My uTorrent uses the Speed Guide settings it selects for me, however I was getting regular disk overload so I have tweaked my disk cache options a bit, I wonder if that is the most likely culprit?

Thanks for the reply. I haven't actually noticed a pattern to be honest but, it seems that most of the things I download are compressed somehow, rars, or zips, or a single zip. I wonder if that might have something to do with it.

As for my hard drive, it's a brand new disk, western digital, however it's in an external enclosure and attached to my PC using USB2. I wonder if perhaps that isn't a good idea to download directly on to that?

In the meantime I've just been trying to remember to do a Force Re-Check on everything that gets downloaded. That works quite well, I just have to remember to do it. And it can take some time too. One of the beta's of a game I had one time was around 20gigabytes so that took quite a while to recheck.

• 4 weeks later...

I have this problem too, tried several of my disks but it keep happening. Not on every torrent but when it happens it stops all download/upload of every torrent and I wake up with nothing seeded.. And some are just really annoying, have to keep trying to stop and start it til it finishes those last bytes...

Archived