At&t Dsl Continuous Speed Drops

Valor22

I have At&t DSL. It is officially 1-Mbps download and 500-Kbps Upload. Thats over 8000 kbps down and 4000 kbps up. I have the port fowarded properly and all settings have been adjusted in numerous ways and recommendations. Even the default settings have been tried and tested. At&t has officially released a statement stating they don't throttle bittorent traffic in any way.

I get, regardless of what the settings are, continuous fluctuation between 900 Kbps and 0 Kbps. I have only windows firewall active and a 2wire 2701HG-B Gateway modem wireless router provided by At&t. The port is forwarded properly within the modem/router's firewall, and no firewall is limiting the activity of the connection from utorrent. I got a green check. I am connected wirelessly to the modem and less than 3 feet away from the modem. The wireless connection never drops but the modem constantly drops internet with utorrent for any thirty second period and then speeds back up.

My current utorrent settings are 10mbit speed guide and even when limiting upload to 5kbps the speed continuously fluctuates in extremes. Every 15 to 45 seconds the connection drops to 0Kbps and leaps to 500 or 800 Kbps for 30 sec and drops etc etc etc etc etc...etc...etc. It's endless in the loop of shittyness. Tried every default setting combination known to man. Even at lower bandwidth settings the fluctuation remains unchanged between 0kbps and whatever Kbps i have limited the traffic to.

My guess is that the router is the problem. Anyone have any clue?

What do speed test results say? When the speed drops, try pinging google. I have the same modem and it seems to have issues sometimes.

1-Mbps download and 500-Kbps Upload. Thats over 8000 kbps down and 4000 kbps up

While true, mind your units, KBps (or KB/s) vs. kbps, the B makes all the difference. 10mbit is a terrible setting on a 4mbit line!

The speed test results say

4843.png

It's a 1 MBps = 1000 KBps line which is 8000 Mega-bits per second download, and .5 MBps upload. The problem being with this speed test is that the image says kbps. Trust me the line does download at 1 MegaByte per second it is capable of those speeds, buts maintaining that in utorrent is yet to be seen.

As far as 10Mbit being a horrible setting it has so far provided the best speeds 800-900 KBps for those 30 sec intervals of activity.

AT&T's DSL service (BellSouth) uses "regular" ADSL modems and lines.

As such, your upload speed will *NOT* be greater than ~1 megabit/sec.

That means don't use settings higher than 1 megabit/sec upload speed from uTorrent Speed Guide (CTRL+G) or my speed guide chart (2nd link in my signature.)

...You may have as little as ~450 kilobit/sec usable upload speed, so reduce your settings to match if that's the case!

Archived