Frequent 'connection closed by peer'

Daviss

Hello,

I recently changed my router. I had a Linksys router and now I have a shitty D-Link DI-614+ and since then Ive been having troubles with connecting to the tracker. Almost every time I start uTorrent, the arrows go red and the tracker status is 'connection closed by peer'. After one or more updates it usually gets through and starts working but this is really starting to annoy me. Anyone know what might be causing this problem?

No, I dont have the Linksys anymore. I have configured uT based on my upload speed which is pretty good btw.. I dont understand what could be wrong. Port checker says that port is forwarded properly and this happens to both public and private torrents. Ive read that this is usually caused by isp's blocking p2p traffic but I doubt that this is the case. Oh btw Im using WEP encryption with the router, could that be it?

And sometimes a few torrents work and a few dont, although they are from the same private tracker. Connection closed by peer is what it says for the ones that dont work. Can anyone help?

Now, the encryption probably isn't related to your problem, BUT, WEP is the weakest encryption setting and can be broken by my home computer in 2 minutes, and a friends laptop in 3-5 minutes. You should switch to WPA2 if possible, WPA if all your devices don't support it (but try WPA+AES before WPA+TKIP). You might want to save that for after we're done with this though, unless you managed to have a bank account that doesn't use HTTPS.

As for your current issue, a few trackers have been pretty screwed lately, try an OpenOffice torrent: http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p

I know WEP sucks but with this router I could chose only that or WPA-PSK which my laptops dont support.

Back on topic - same problem with the Open Office torrent. Connection closed by peer... Btw I might also add that I have this problem both on my PC which connects to the router by cable and laptop. It has to be the router.. :/

My isp is called IZZI.

Just connected straight to the modem and the problem is gone. So it is the router..

I just noticed in the router settings, there is a special application tab that is used to run applications that require multiple connections. Maybe I need to add uTorrent there? But it asks for these parameters:

Name

Trigger Port

Trigger Type

Public Port

Public Type

Also DMZ is disabled.

So it seems your ISP happens to be a cable ISP that's using DOCSIS 3.0 at least in some areas.

However, even DOCSIS 3.0 as currently implemented has a SEVERE bottleneck on the upload side -- often 100+ cablemodems are sharing a single 27 megabit/sec upload speed channel!

Either your ISP has to throttle that during heavy loads or connections will spontaneously disconnect on their own and everyone's connection could suffer.

The problem is this fucking router. I just connected to another wireless network and didnt have the problem, same as when I connected via cable with out the router. Im using UPnP so I shouldnt need to set up static IPs and forward ports manually. And other routers work without all that crap, why doesnt this one? :/

Archived