Help with migrating settings to new PC

smalltalkdan

I posted this as a reply elsewhere but thought it worthwhile to make it a separate topic, since I suspect many people have had this issue. I hope I am not violating forum rules, since I've seen the draconian treatment that generates :)

I have been running uTorrent on the same PC for about 2 years, and am now attempting to move to a new machine. I have a LONG list of shows in my RSS feed (about 100) that I would strongly prefer not to have to recreate.

I copied the uTorrent directory from \Users\me\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent directory, did a clean install on the new PC and then copied the directory to \Users\theNewMe\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent. This caused a bizarre result - when I attempted to start uTorrent, instead of starting the application, the Installer started. Thinking I needed to reinstall, I let it run, but it stalled at the final Install screen. I then uninstalled and reinstalled, launched uTorrent and it was fine, but when I copied the directory from the old PC the same thing happened.

The only thing that might be a hangup here is that the directory path is different on this computer (my Windows user ID is different). Could this actually be the problem? If so, any suggestions? If not - well, any suggestions?

One last data point - I have *not* yet created the torrent file and downloaded file directories to match my old computer.

TIA for anything you can do to help.

...dan

Of course if some directory paths in resume.dat & settings.dat are different, uT will pop up gain thinking your install it for the 1st time.

Use the freeware BEncode Editor (http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=31306) to edit files resume.dat & settings.dat. Use the ability 'find/replace' to change the path (in your case, user ID). Then save the 2 files. Restart uT with these new files.

Tip: make a backup copy of these files before editing them.

Tried the BEncode Editor, too complicated for me :) Afterwards tried simple copy&paste from " C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\uTorrent "of all old torrent files and only "resume.dat" from all .dat files. Works fine! Pfew! 2 hours torture :)

P.S. My download path or user name was NOT changed. I did this, because I reinstalled Win.

Archived