ISP Port Throttling (non-bittorrent)

Ares

Wow, my ISP is more of a bastard than I thought. I use UltraVNC for remote support of several users on almost a daily basis. For the last month or two, it's been completely unusable. It would sit at the loading screen for what seemed like ages. I went through a great deal of troubleshooting with some of the developers. Nothing helped.

Today, I just put two and two together, and realized that UltraVNC stopped working the same day µTorrent started being limited. Then I realized that UltraVNC was only using about 4-5KB/s. So, I encrypted the VNC stream, and then moved it to another port (1720). It works now, perfectly.

My crappy ISP was actually throttling traffic that could ONLY be legitimate! It was UltraVNC for crying out loud! I make money off of that program, it's like a part time job to me. I remote into people's machines with their consent, and then they paypal me after the job is done. How more legitimate can you get? My ISP is limiting not based on legitimacy of the data, but just the fact that they don't want me using the full bandwidth potential that I PAID FOR!

Bastards, I say. Simply bastards.

Anyway, I just wanted to alert anyone else out there that might be having problems with VNC, or any other high-bandwidth program that suddenly slowed to a crawl. Hope this helps someone.

EDIT: FYI, I had never used port 5500 for anything other than VNC. I especially never used µTorrent on that port.

-Ares

Eh, I graduate and leave near the end of May. I know how to get around it for now, so it's okay, I suppose. I live off-campus, which is why I have my own ISP and am not going through my college's connection. But yeah, if they had done this at the beginning of the year, I most certainly would have contacted the CEO, if possible. It's kind of too late for me to care, but it still burns me that they would limit legitimate traffic like that.

-Ares

Ah I might. Part of the reason I'm posting here though is for the ones who have yet to figure such things out. Thought it might make someone else say "oh, so THAT is why (something besides bittorent) goes so slow!"

Besides, just because they *might* (and that's a big might) fix mine, doesn't mean they would suddenly turn over a new leaf and do it for everyone.

But yeah I'll see what I can do...

-Ares

I remember reading somewhere that the minimum speed standard for broadband was 128 kilobits/sec. This includes overheads, so you can't get 16 KB/sec with that. But if you can't even get 10-12 KB/sec via your internet-using programs *WHILE DOING NOTHING ELSE*, then what's being offered doesn't qualify as broadband.

Let them know that advertising something and not even meeting minimal standards for that is fraud.

@Switeck: I'm paying for 384KBytes/s down and around 36KB/s up, roughly. But yeah, while doing NOTHING ELSE, except using µTorrent OR UltraVNC, I only get about 5KB/s for either of those apps. Unless of course I use a nonstandard port and encrypt the traffic. While those programs are running at 5KB/s (both of them even), I can do a speed test and get roughly 375KB/s down. So at least they don't limit my entire connection. They seem to limit any port that I send VNC or bittorrent data over, unencrypted. Once I use VNC/bittorrent on a given port, unencrypted, that port becomes instantly throttled. And regardless of encryption, port 5500 (VNC) is always throttled it seems.

-Ares

Well dammit. Now, since they can't throttle my bittorrent data, they are blocking my trackers! I thought Demonoid was down, again. I asked someone else if they could go there. They said it worked fine, and was even fast. Also having problems on a few others...

Score:

Ares (1), Cebridge (2)

I believe it's time to set up an encrypted web proxy to my girlfriend's machine on Charter to even the score lol... :o

-Ares

• 2 months later...

Update on my ISP situation. Seems Cebridge isn't *specifically* throttling bittorrent usage. They actually throttle ports based on how much bandwidth you use. So, if you pay them for a certain amount of bandwidth, and actually USE that bandwidth, you get throttled down. You have to hardly use any bandwidth for 24 hours before they will take you off the capped list. This is what one of the techs told me.

So yeah, we will be chewing them out after we graduate (this weekend!) and telling them that we are canceling due to their poor service, and misleading us to believe we're paying for a certain amount of bandwidth, when in fact we are paying for about an hour worth of that bandwidth, and afterward just around 25kb/s unless we cease all traffic for 24 hours.

-Ares

My isp in Singapore, starhub does the same thing as Cebridge. I guess its an international procedure now and most tiers are doing it.

It doesnt matter if i use bittorent or not. My internet connection dies in some times of the day and sometimes for a good part of the day. The connection is just totally throttled. But when I lay off bittorent for awhile, I get blasting speeds again and then back to throttling after half a day. Like Ares said I guess.

And isps are no longer throttling bittorent. I think they find it easier to throttle the whole connection of a person who USES his connection fully.

My friend does downloading of movies from a paid site and blasted the isp tech personel coz he was not getting good http speeds. They unthrottled his connection but he had a good reason.

PS. Encrypt ur ports and keep changing them every few days. It works with Starhub for most parts.

Archived