Windows 7 - VNC/RDP - Slowness!

vinnie

Hi Guys,

My apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I do not have a problem with my uTorrent speed per se. I can download many torrents at reasonable speeds. My problem is that as soon as I have more than 2 torrents running, and if I connect into this box remotely using VNC or RDP my box becomes EXTREMELY slow.

If I close uTorrent the problem goes away.

Things I've done: (for testing purposes)

Set the upload rate to 1KB (I have 100KB/sec capabilities)

Set the download rate to 200KB (I have 1MB/sec capabilities)

Installed TCP-Z to fix the TCP/IP half limit

If I am at home and with uTorrent open I can surf / download at excellent speeds. The issue is only present when using RDP or VNC.

Ideas?

3rd link in my signature, 4th paragraph.

Even if your ISP wasn't terrible, you choose horribly wrong settings for your line.

Use no higher than the 1 megabit/sec upload speed settings from my speed guide (2nd link in my signature) instead. Sadly, your line may be so crippled by the ISP that using lower will be better. Promising high upload speeds to other peers then not delivering may result in them refusing to upload to you.

Test encryption with outgoing set to FORCED or Enabled...and with incoming legacy connections first disabled then enabled. Test each of those 4 possibilities for at least 10 minutes each.

DISABLE: UPnP, NAT-PMP LPD, DHT (both kinds!), and Resolve IPs (right-click in PEERS window on an active torrent).

Keep Peer Exchange enabled...it should be encrypted due to above settings.

bt.connect_speed set to its default of 20 new outgoing connection peer/seed attempts per second could be too high, try 1-4 instead.

Thanks switeck, I will try these settings and report back. It might be important to note that the default settings which I was using, including the xx/100mbit was working just fine behind my router and windows XP.

We should also note that when I am not connecting in remotely, utorrent + browsing or downloading using other methods work just fine.

Archived