isp.bep22 not working properly

chmv

isp.bep22 not working properly

Tested on µTorrent 1.8.4-16442

How to reproduce:

1. Run µTorrent wtih isp.bep22=false

2. Turn isp.bep22 to true

bep22 is working now! Local tracker has been added to torrents.

3. Close µTorrent.

4. Run µTorrent

bep22 is NOT working now. No local tracker in torrents.

Is it possible to fix in 1.8.x?

Thank you.

PS 2.0 beta has the same bug.

• 4 months later...

I use latest 2.0 RC5...

It seems that bep22 does not work indeed...

I have one seed on local retracker, it has A DNS record - retracker.local - and we have several SRV records for different local segments, according to manual, pointing to retracker.local:80...

I can resolve SRV record manually with command prompt from both machine...

I start the same torrent on the second machine (all trackers deleted, DHT and PEX disabled, LPD enabled)...

When I start this torrent, I can see 1 peer appears in "Local Peer Discovery", and then disappear instantly... Nothing happens then... If I add "http:||retracker.local/announce" manually, it works without problems...

I'm not sure isp.bep22 option works as it should...

• 2 weeks later...
Hostile ISP's perhaps. Some ISP's aren't above tampering with tracker provided data.

Ok, but what about Local Peer Discovery turned on by default? Hostile ISP's can tamper with this feature too, but Local Peer Discovery is turned on by default.

If benefits are questionable, I wouldn't bother enabling it by default.

The flip side to enabling it by default is that all ISPs would easily which IPs are using BitTorrent, and should they desire, it would simply make it that much easier for them to throttle (rather than actively having to detect BitTorrent, the clients end up telling them instead). Not that it isn't already easy, but well, the potential benefits likely don't (yet?) outweigh the negative. When more ISPs make it clear that they wish to participate, then maybe the story might change. IMHO.

I do use it, hoping it will make it easier for the ISP to assign his cache to me. When he wants to block me - he does success with or w/o this bep... ;) Still I will not make it the default, but will make it available in the BitTorrent settings-dialog .

If provider supports the idea of torrents, it can run local retraker and configure SRV records in own DNS zone. If the SRV records not exists, nothing changes to users.

The idea of retrackers is growing support in Russia, Ukraine... Because popular trackers (for example torrents.ru) began to add local retracker all torrents.

Here is a partial list: http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A0%D0%B5%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%BA%D0%B5%D1%80

Google translate: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=ru&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fru.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2F%25D0%25A0%25D0%25B5%25D1%2582%25D1%2580%25D0%25B5%25D0%25BA%25D0%25B5%25D1%2580

Many providers have already launched local retrackers, because it is profitable for them. BEP22 will use local trackers in full force.

Let me remind you that BEP22 does not prevent users if their provider has not added SRV records.

PS When µtorrent add tracker via isp.bep22, need to check this tracker in torrents to avoid duplication.

PPS All providers in my city already have local retrackers. Some have already added SRV records. However difficult to explain to users what they must set up to use this feature. So, please consider to turn on isp.bep22 by default. Thank you.

• 11 months later...

I'm a ISP owner and a BitTorrent user (actually, who wasn't ? :cool:) and we do traffic shapping (actually, which ISP don't have such will ?).

Need to shout: BEP22 is an awesome (great, amazing, wonderful) feature !

Its the first very good BitTorrent move to be effectively ISP friendly and it has a lot of potential to turn the table and celebrate peace between heavy users (like me) and ISPs (like me). BEP22 works like a charm and it is very well designed, however it lacks just one thing which is to be enabled by default.

Most ISPs can't call torrent users to inform about it, but we are doing that. :D

Nowadays our Sandvine boxes has 2 jobs: shapping (of course !) and tell us which customer are using some torrent client so we can make a call and tell about this amazing feature that activates our cache or accelerator, as preferred by the customer service.

Customers usually feels like a child with brand new toy. ;)

Blazing speeds and guess what ? Due to the very good hit ratio (~80%), all customers with BEP22 enabled can borrow its speed twice so anybody with 20 mbps can reach 40 mbps free of charge. Thanks to you, uTorrent developers, we could make it a market differential.

Please, be kind, make the BEP 22 enabled in next version. :rolleyes:

Archived