ISP limiting my TCP connections

monetarydread

So my community finally received high speed internet. I have an 8mb cable connection, no firewall enables (windows or third party), and no router, and even though my ports are open (I always get a green circle with a checkmark in the center) yet I have trouble getting a decent, reliable connection (originally I was getting 5kB/s upload and 1kb/s download). So I tried everything on Ultima's Speed Issues thread, with the exception of patching my tcpip.sys, and now I get an average of 20kB/s upload and 30kB/s download. I tried downloading Openoffice.org and Slackware and was amazed at the 400kB/s downloads. I tried the full upload and download test on Glasnost and was told that there was no shaping of traffic. Frustrated, I emailed my ISP and was told that "for my protection against virus' " they limit my global tcp connections on their end to 60.

So I was wondering what settings should I set uTorrent to, to get the best speeds? Even with these slow speeds it is better than the crappy dial-up alternative, but I am disappointed that it isn't much better than dial-up.

It should be possible to hold uTorrent's connections under 60 so as not to have a problem.

The ISP's "excuse" is viruses, but it's only a smokescreen. They're using the 60 limit to supposedly cripple BitTorrent and similar p2p programs.

You will also likely find that even UDP packet-streams "count" against their 60 limit, or at least UDP won't give you unlimited "extra" connections.

yeah, their reasoning is stupid. I have lowered my max connections and I get the best results with 30 max connections; 20 maximum peers per torrent; 7 upload slots; and my net.max_halfopen to 8. Even with those crippled settings I am still only gettings about 30-80kB/s download with 20kB/s upload. Balls to crappy ISP's

Disable: UPnP, NAT-PMP, DHT (both kinds), Local Peer Discovery, Resolve IPs (right-click in PEERS window/tab for menu to do so).

Keep Peer Exchange, it reuses existing seed/peer connections to work...the others make additional connections which your ISP may be unfairly counting against your limit.

Also reduce bt.connect_speed from 20 outgoing connection attempts per second to only 1-4.

Archived