Port forwarding trouble

the_snare

I followed this guide on port forward (I have a D-link DGL-4500 wireless router)

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DGL-4500/Utorrent.htm

I set up a static IP. That is (I'm using Windows XP) got the settings by doing a ipconfig /all at the command line, went into network connections for my router and under TCP/IP put in my computer's IP address (I have the DHCP on my router set to give my computer a static IP address- this is the one I put in) subnet, and default gateway and the DNS servers.

Now, here's where I ran into a problem was I went into my router settings, went into add game rule, put in my IP address the router gives me, the port Utorrent is using that I need to forward (I still get some speed, but it's not that fast) and it tells me that the router will need to be re-booted. I let it reboot, then the network icon in my systray doesn't show our wireless network anymore- I can't reconnect.

Also, the guide says that every computer has to have it's own IP address. Does this mean that every other computer/device connected to the router will need to have it's own STATIC IP address? Or does it mean it needs it's own, but it doesn't need to be static- the router will assign it one?

<<Use a static IP address on the one computer that's OUTSIDE the DHCP range, don't make a static one out of a dynamic>>

I'm a little confused. Do you mean make a static IP of one that my ISP gives me? The one their DHCP assigns to my cable modem? Couldn't that be dynamic too, depending on what my ISP's DHCP assigns to it.

Or do you mean have my router assign me an IP that is within it's range but no one it has currently assigned to any device on the network and make THAT IP my static IP.

Or perhaps neither, make a static IP out of one that is outside it's range, that's one it can't assign.

But..........how would my computer then communicate with the internet, if it's assigned an IP that my router didn't give to it- and doesn't have for it- anything data I send or receive must know my IP for it get to me.

Sounds like you don't really understand how all this works. On the computer setup a static IPa, use the same subnet, gateway, and dns, but pick an address with the last field ending between 0 and 255, and not using any number in the routers DHCP range.

I do understand how it works. Set myself a static IP outside the router's DHCP range, for example. If the router's range was 143.156.2.100-199, then set an IP of 143.156.2.2 as a static.

I'm just wondering how the router knows I'm using that IP. I put it in under network connections for my wireless network in Windows XP, usually the DHCP would assign each device it's own IP, don't I have to tell the router I want to use (in the above example) 143.156.2.2?

If you set yourself a static IP, will every other device on the network have to have it's own static IP, or can they just use one the DHCP will give them? I want to make sure it doesn't mess up anyone else's connection on our home network, I'll also need to use a proxy too.

I do understand how it works.
I'm just wondering how the router knows I'm using that IP.

Everyone else can DHCP. Protocols exist that allow computers and routers to learn who is where and keep track of that information for routing purposes.

Ok, I managed to set up a static IP. I'm having pretty much the same problem as described in my first post.

I went into my router settings, my router is this one on portforward.com

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DGL-4500/Utorrent.htm

I went to add game rule under gaming in advanced. I typed the name of the program (since it isn't in the list- utorrent) clicked the enable checkbox, put in my new static IP address I chose, put in the port utorrent is using 40319, clicked save. It tells me the router will need to be rebooted, so I let it go ahead and reboot it. Now, I have an icon with a red X in my systray, I double click it and it shows me the networks- our home network isn't one of them. So, what I do is change my IP back to DHCP assignable.

So, I start up my computer a few hours later. I can connect, but the rule I set under gaming is still there. So, to check if the port is open I download the portchecker tool here

http://www.portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm

I use it, put in 40319 and click TCP click it and it tells me another application has the port locked, so I close utorrent, use it and it tells me the port isn't open, I try UDP same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Under WAN on the status page it lists:

IP address: 66.189.36.188

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 66.189.36.1

Primary DNS: 66.189.0.29

Secondary DNS: 66.189.0.30

Looks like the IP address listed above is the cable modem

For LAN it lists on the status page.

The MAC address

IP address: 192.168.0.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

DHCP Server: Enabled

I suppose I could bypass the router, but it's in the family room. I don't want to have to leave my computer there to download torrents all the time. If it works, wel'll know that something in the router is blocking it, but it won't tell us what. I want to find out what's causing the blockage and clear it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'll do it. I'll see what happens. I'm not sure exactly how I will know I'm connected by connecting directly to the cable modem with an ethernet cable. When I connect wirelessly to the router I have an icon in my systray indicating so. Not sure how I will connecting directly to the modem. Guess I could just try pulling up google, or doing ipconfig under run (after I type command)

And, should I put the IP address of the modem assigned by charter into my web browser? If the modem is also a router I might get an interface web-page to work with it, but I think the modem's IP is assigned by my ISP and I can't access the DHCP that gives it to me.

EDIT: No, I'm not trying to double post!!. I want to post a NEW post. It won't let me.

I just tried to connect with an ethernet cable. It didn't work too well.

I found it our cable modem only has one ethernet port. The one I thought was an another ethernet port was actually a USB port (the ethernet cable wouldn't fit in it)

So, what I did was connect the computer directly to the modem. Disabled the wireless network adapter icon in my sys tray. Now, in network connections (I'm using Windows XP professional) I have three adapters listed under LAN and high speed internet.

• 4 weeks later...

the IP it assigns is in my 13th post in this thread, under WAN settings.

Edit: Oh, you mean the IP address it gives to the router? I'm not sure, it seems the router's IP is always the same, it's 192.168.0.1. Is it always this because it uses NAT perhaps?

Anyway, is it necessary to do this if I have UpNP (yes my router does have it) so if it's set in the router and set in utorrent am I ALL SET? None of this is required?

I haven't connected directly to the the modem yet (again that is, I'd need to unplug it and wait a little while so I can plug my computer in via ethernet)

But, what I was asking is if what I'm trying to do is necessary if I have UpnP. Do I still have to do what I'm trying to do in this thread? That is, forward the port in my router that Utorrent is using? Or, while using UpNp will that be done automatically. So, there's no need for me to manually forward it.

Well, he's what I did. I unplugged the router and cable modem, waited about half an hour then plugged the modem back in. Then I connected via ethernet to the modem, turned off the windows firewall and AVG's firewall.

I then tested the connection with Pfportchecker. Port 40319 was open with UDP, but not with TCP. I don't think any addtional firewall is barring the way.

But, sometimes it will say some other application is using the port (not this time when I connected directly and checked though- on either TCP or UDP ) is there way to find out what applications could be using the port

Archived