Hack job, anyone? I could use some help tricking the network.

rabidsnakemonkey

My internet connection is through a college's network. On this network, they have a system where it will put you into isolation, blocking all connections in and out, if you are doing something you shouldn't (ie p2p). The good news: it doesn't work very well. The bad news: it works well enough. Theoretically, when you open a torrent tracker program, it should kick you right into isolation. Usually, for whatever reason, it fails to catch this. However, it succeeds in blocking all incoming connections.

I've been working on finding a way around this. I've tried changing the port to something it would allow (80, 110, etc; right now it is 27025 - Half Life 2 [i played some TF2 the other day, so I know it works!]). I was thinking maybe it would allow UDP connections, but I'm not sure how I would convince it to use that. I tried changing the trackers from "http:" to "udp:" also to no avail. Then I played with the ports for those trackers. Still nothing.

Now I'm starting to think the problem is much further up the chain. The way the network works: the school gets connection from an ISP (not sure what it's ip address is, but i might be able to find out using the TRACERT command), and then divides it across the campus (eg. my ip: 10.7.XX.XX). To the world, my ip address is 66.20.XX.XX, (found using whatismyip.com). I am not sure if this is the campus's global ip address, or mine in particular (probably mine).

I've only given parts of the ip addresses for security reasons. I should also note that they are not static (at least, not the users on the network; the school's global one might be, I'm not sure). Any ideas for a trick around all of this from someone with more networking knowledge would be much appreciated. Thanks!

You might be able to use ddwrt (or something similar) on a router in your room and ssh to another router (owned by a friend off campus) which would then send the packets on their way.

That sounds horribly complicated though. It was what I was going to set up when I was in the dorms, but I never got around to it. Plus, your download is then limited by your friend's upstream, which is always horrible. And routers aren't very happy encoding and decoding large amounts of a data at once.

Archived