Optimizing uTorrent for seeding with strictly private trackers

Leperkawn

Hello everyone, this is my first post, but I've been lurking for the past few days (mainly reading Switeck's massive alternate speed chart thread, god that thing is like ten pages) and I've been using the bittorrent protocol for quite some time over several clients (finally settled on utorrent a few years ago).

Anyways, I've already forwarded ports, read the faq, good new user etiquette, etc etc. I'm currently using Switeck's 1.5 mBit speeds (as that is the approx upload of my 16 mBit down connection and the best speed guide I've seen to date) and I was looking for some input regarding optimizing my upload speeds over (ideally) 50-100 torrents.

Basically I am looking for any input to make my client more "attractive" to the swarm so I can get me some juicy upload.

Below is a non-uniform-width version of Switeck's speed guide, and is identical to the settings I'm currently using. Oh, and I put this in general because I'm not having speed problems per se, but I would like to improve my upload speed (don't care about download speeds, with private trackers that takes care of itself). Staff, free to move this to whatever forum you feel best suits it.

╔════════════════╦═══════════╦═══════════╦══════════╗

║CONNECTION TYPE ║ UPLOAD ║CONNECTIONS║MAX ACTIVE║

║(UPLOAD MAXIMUM)║Limit│Slots║ Torr│ MAX ║Torr│Down.║

╠════════════════╬═════╪═════╬═════╪═════╬════╪═════╣

║ 1.5 mbit/sec ║ 140│ 7║ 80│ 250║ 8│ 7║

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Edit:

I'm bored and would like to speculate:

With 250 global connections and 40 connected peers per torrent, it seems like it would only take a few torrents to fill up that 250 cap. Since I'm seeding anyway, I'd be connected to one, maybe two or three max leechers. Could lowering the peers/torrent to, say, 10, help utorrent "look" for more leechers across more (about 25 I suppose) torrents at once?

Awesome topic, I apologize for missing it.

I'm modifying:

Peers/torrent to 5 (you recommended 3-9).

bt.connect_speed to 1 (net.max_halfopen is 8 so that should be the limiting factor)

I'm going to disable DTHT Network/DHT for new torrents/Local Peer Discovery, because the private trackers that I use don't allow it anyway. No reason for those settings to be enabled.

I'm still trying to grok your first post, though. I'm having trouble understanding "optimistic unchoke."

optimistic unchoke

When a client tries to start a transfer on a previously choked connection in hopes that the connection becomes unchoked.

choked

This word describes the state of a BitTorrent connection. When a connection is choked, it means the person who is supposed to be doing the uploading on the connection does not want to send anything. This generally happens when the uploader's upload slots are full.

I checked utorrent's glossary and the web and from what I see it's an action my client performs on a peer whom I have "choked" for some reason. If you have anything I could look at that could clarify that, It would be much appreciated.

Anyways, I lowered my max connections to 50 but that was fairly arbitrary. I guess I'm mainly having trouble seeing how you went from:

300 seconds / 30 seconds per peer * 1 upload slot = 10 max peers

to

For 5 upload slots max: 300 seconds / 60 seconds per peer * 5 upload slots = 25 max peers

Where does the 60 seconds per peer come from? Is this implying that the user has 5 upload slots per torrent and should set max peers per torrent to 25? What does this imply for global max connections? Would modifying "peer.disconnect_inactive_interval" be of any benefit? For reference, I have a 1.5 mBit upstream and would *ideally* like to have ~50-100 torrents in utorrent functioning at once (does that criteria alone cripple my ability to upload decently to individual torrents?)

Sorry for the barrage of questions, and feel free to point me towards any good topics/sites to read in lieu of wasting your time.

The Optimistic Unchoke upload slot is the upload slot that "roams around" the most, uploading to more peers over time than the standard upload slots. It does this to encourage sharing and to make sure other peers have something to share.

"While seeding, 1 upload slot uses optimistic unchoke -- which changes peers no quicker than once every 30 seconds unless peers disconnect."

"Where does the 60 seconds per peer come from?"

"Each additional upload slot needs progressively less additional max peers, because they are increasingly likely to upload to the same peer for many minutes on end"

"Is this implying that the user has 5 upload slots per torrent and should set max peers per torrent to 25?"

"But as low as those maxes are, max peers for BEST results are lower still"

You have to have a good basis for what is going on before the settings values will start making any sense.

We don't want a BitTorrent client that only uploads to us for <15 seconds because the start and stop process would eat bandwidth, but MOST BitTorrent clients won't upload steadily to anyone. (reason: the settings they chose)

• 7 months later...

Archived