µTorrent 3.0 "Falcon" (32-bit) alpha 25207

Firon

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

"Because the feature-rich dht you're aiming for is more along the lines of a traditional p2p network than that of a bittorrent client."

Ok, thanks, but is that really bad?

Quote:

"Vuze would be essentially a dead BitTorrent client *IF* the BitTorrent portions of Vuze are no longer being bugfixed and new BT features are not being added. It would be a dead client if the company associated with it fails/shuts down. (Though some 3rd party could resurrect the source code and update it.)"

LoL, the same goes to uTorrent, but even more, because uTorrent isn't open source..

regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

Something I just noticed on a torrent was I wasn't downloading at more than 75 kB/sec from any of several peers (it was the max speed I could download from any peer I was connected to). I haven't downloaded anything else yet, so I can't confirm if it's reproducible, but I wanted to mention it in case anyone else saw it.

utorrentk.jpg

EDIT: Downloading another torrent today and I'm getting speeds over 75 kB/s from peers. I think everything is the same between when I took that screen cap yesterday and today, so it must have been a fluke that they all were going the same speed.

Working as designed. The communication traffic necessary to maintain the connections grows in direct proportion to the download or upload speed. Previously, it was hidden because it's a natural part of TCP connections. Now, with net.calc_overhead set to true by default...uTorrent tries to estimate the overheads. The figures aren't exact, they might even be off by +/-50% for all I know, but they do represent the significant reply traffic generated by downloading quickly.

Switeck, I got a question for you.

Is the overhead relative to UL/DL included or not in the max UL or DL of the connexion fixed by the ISP?

Imagine this (very) simplified example:

A seeder has a connexion with a max DL fixed to 100 kB/s (by the ISP) and is seeding a complete torrent to 10 peers.

Each peer displays an overhead of 10kB/s, so the global overhead is 100 kB/s for the DL part.

If this seeder starts a new torrent to download, has he already reached its max DL?

ISPs count overheads against max bandwidth limits. Some are overprovisioned -- they say you get a 1.5 megabit/sec download line, but actually allocate 1.6-2 megabit/sec so even after overheads you're likely to get 1.5 megabit/sec usable download bandwidth.

These estimated overheads can and have caused limit overruns. People would set upload speed limit really low and just by downloading quickly the upload max limit was exceeded.

upgrading from uT 1.8.5 to 2.1, causing hangs and 50% CPU usage on C2D (I wait about 2h, because I was thinking that new uT2.1 only rehashing files, but I was wrong ;p)

probably in some way similar to this bug on 2.0 branch

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=434703#p434703

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dnunhtyn4ch/17085-utorrent.5fcc.dmp

http://www.mediafire.com/file/fyqmzyyjzwt/drwtsn32.log

uTorrent 2.1 alpha 17085. When I start the program, and torrents' download automatically starts, the list of downloads at the right automatically clears (all downloads disappears from the screen). I need to select the category (all, active, ... etc) at the left, then downloads appears again.

Early versions doesn't have that bug.

Im currently having problem with manual cache setting (I Had it since the 2.0 versions). Whenever I tick the option to set the size of the cache and click apply (no matter what size I use) uTorrent shows 100% disk overload. Immediately. All the traffic stops or slows down to nearly nothing. All the other cache options seem not to have any negative effect but this one has a huge one. I'd like to have that option back for high speed uploading because I usually upload multiple torrent and my disk is too slow to catch it all.

If it matters Im using Windows 7 x64 Enterprise.

I wanted to throw this out to see if it's just me or not. I've got my transfer cap set, but the total seems to be inaccurate. I'm running v2.1b17085 (updated from v1.8.4).

For example, Tuesday morning I checked my transfer cap settings to see if they were still working correctly, and it said I had only had ~600MB of total traffic towards the cap, even though I could see in my torrent list (and in the lower right corner) that the total (u/l + d/l) Monday night is around 3GB. Now I check again today, having done another 8GB of total traffic last night, and my transfer total is only 2.2GB (1.1GB each way). Both transfer totals cited are using the "last 31 days" selection. Even my statistics (Help > Show Stats) says I've done 5GB of traffic today alone.

Is anyone else running into this?

Archived