µTorrent 3.0 "Falcon" (32-bit) alpha 25207

Firon

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes that new bar thing is horrible, but I'm sure you're working on a way for us to hide it. ;)

The column "App" turns on at every start of the program. Since that column was introduced I think.

Addition: recently I've seen a lot of this error on torrents started by magnet link: "Torrent Error: The file name, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect." Whatever that could mean. No odd characters in the files or anything, just starting through magnet links.

Hi again,

Updated to latest alpha: 25127

EDIT: Seems I spoke to soon.. The CPU usage seems to be directly correlated to the seeding of torrents. It's reproducible, when I stop all torrents, it is ok. When I start seeding them again, CPU usage climbs back up again.

EDIT2: Downloading isn't fixed either. I have mirrored a number of different disk caching settings on this forum and all have resulted in the same issues. The first GB downloaded fine, approximately 4MB/s, then 100% disk overloaded issues for like 15 minutes on this 3.0GB file, then back up for 4MB/s again. The RAM cache I've dedicated to this is interesting enough, 1024mb. Did it not write a single thing to disk until it filled up the ram buffer?

EDIT3: Haha. At exactly 2GB out of 3GB, it stopped and is at 100% disk overloaded again. I'm not sure what is happening.. Is it seriously not writing while it fills up the buffer? Forgot to mention that in resmon my disk is only writing at 2MB/s-5MB/s so it seems like something kind of major inefficiencies in the way that uTorrent is calling the file copy/chunking. Doing standard tests (http copy, ftp copy, explorer file copy, robocopy, xcopy, and linux dd inside of a vm) my disk is capable of read/writes averaging between 40-70MB/s quite easily.

Taking a deeper look at resmon shows uTorrent writing 2kb-3kb/s in each of the directories of each of the torrents that I am seeding. I am seeding roughly 100 torrents so it's the 100x2-3kb/s that is contributing to the 2MB/s-5MB/s usage I see. What is uTorrent doing? Where is the bottleneck that is causing uTorrent to think that my disk is at 100% i/o capacity?

Another piece of useful information: every single directory in the set of seeding torrents has been modified today. It seems like uTorrent is going in and either writing a file and deleting it or something?

Noticed some change in the way it no longer seems to be constantly updating files. SearchIndexer has calmed down. I also noticed that since updating to 3.0, the start up time seems drastically increased from 2.2. I was wondering if you could give me a high level overview of what's different in the init sequence?

It still doesn't seem to exit elegantly though, for whatever reason. I'm typically forced to kill the process tree to get it to stop. One of the possible side effects of not allowing uTorrent to exit elegantly is:

a) deleted some of my files that were already complete

B) corrupted the completion status of these files

It became evident because I had some torrents that have been complete for months and I've just been seeding them, but now I'm forced to rehash them based on the .torrent files and re download pieces of them.

EDIT: I've noticed some interesting behaviour. In the directory structure of all of the corrupt torrents, I see an existing original file named: xxx.file but now I see a seemingly duplicate file named xxx.file.1 of same size but no idea of the content.

My concern revolves around, well, what is uTorrent doing playing with torrents that are already complete? What is it shuffling around, at the file level, and why? This type of behaviour would explain why previously my HD i/o was going nuts at an idle and why uTorrent was constantly using ~30% CPU. Let me know if you need more details.

Thanks.

Ended up downgrading to 2.2.1 with much success. All my tabs were out of wack, but that's to be assumed given the different tab configuration and numbering that was in my registry. 2.2.1 is working as expected, no CPU issues, no disk throttling issues, etc

Came home to my build 25043 to find an error message about my µTorrent Web username already being in use and the following in my logger:

[2011-03-23 13:23:07] Disconnected from WebUI proxy service

[2011-03-23 13:24:11] Error contacting WebUI proxy service: HTTP Error 400

[2011-03-23 13:24:11] Disconnected from WebUI proxy service

In the settings my username has been changed to "1". This is what concerns me most.

The next earliest message relating to Web is

[2011-03-21 13:38:25] Got proxy service response (rapton-i-bfb579d3.utorrent.com:9053, 222 bytes): {"status":"\/status\/ok","message":"Attached client to talon","code":"\/api\/attach\/success","response":{"username":"fowl","security_question":"yes","raptor":"rapton-i-bfb579d3.utorrent.com:9003","clientid":"7300208737"}}

(this instance of µTorrent has been up for about 7 days)

At least you got the 'add new torrent' window, acmodeu.

I installed the new version, and within 5 minutes, it dropped out and minimised to tray, and can't be re-maximised. It seems to be a problem with layout/graphics caused by my multi-monitor setup (24" it seems. It tried to span itself across both monitors when "restored"

It's only happened with this latest version (25127)

(edited to add)

Here's a screenshot where I've whipped my mouse over some of the areas to the left.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12594568/utorrent%203.0%20errors.jpg

It's resetting every second or so, back to this image with a visible flicker.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12594568/utorrent%203.0%20errors2.jpg

Is it possible to go back to the last beta build? The one I just downloaded is unusable. I am not sure what is causing it, but it freezes after 5-10 minutes and needs to be force shut down and restarted. It has happened 5 times in a row now.

How would I go about sending a report about this bug? I don't have any error messages or anything that I can copy, since it just stalls.

I had been running the last build for about 5 days straight without a hitch before the update.

* it happened again while typing this message *

Is it possible to go back to the last beta build? The one I just downloaded is unusable. I am not sure what is causing it, but it freezes after 5-10 minutes and needs to be force shut down and restarted. It has happened 5 times in a row now.

How would I go about sending a report about this bug? I don't have any error messages or anything that I can copy, since it just stalls.

I had been running the last build for about 5 days straight without a hitch before the update.

* it happened again while typing this message *

Yeah, I've been getting that too. I *think* I solved the graphical problems too, by killing my multiple monitor manager (ultramon), which sucks. This new version really is bad.

Oh, and I don't have the categories open (I like the old 0.x layout, so I don't like the movement of the files tab either) but every time I select a category, and hit F7 to close that sidebar, it goes back to 'all torrents'

Hello,

if I remember correctly µTorrent 2 showed a time in the "remaining" column after finishing the download and starting to seed. So one knew how much time remained till the condition for the removal of the torrent (at the current speed) was left. I'd like to have that (back) in this version.

tl;dr: can we have a time remaining for seeding torrents?

The "disk overload:100%" is back on build 25137.

Also, my sidebar, I've set it to the mini size via advanced options (gui.tall_category_list), and after I pressed the button that allows you to hide the sidebar (probably introduced in the last build), now whenever the sidebar is open, it blinks once in every two seconds overlapping the tabs etc. below. Very hard to post a screenshot about it.

There's also some kind of massive memory hole in 25317. When rechecking a 6.7Gb torrent, it used up all my ram (all 6Gb) by around the 2/3 complete point. The system then grinds to a halt as it tried to clear everything else out of ram. Just to be certain, I tried it 3 times. Because I'd let the second time go for a while, I think 3 was slower to go. It has really been thrashing my hdd.

After I gave it a little time to calm down, I tried rechecking a 300mb file. It has a small response (marked as 4)

I had process explorer running the whole time, and got a nice capture here (with the runs marked).

It also shows the utorrent process, but it doesn't seem to register on that (you can match them with the IO bytes graph.)

Streaming does not work at all. The latest version of VLC, Windows 7 and uTorrent 25137. After starting the download regular video and clicking the Play button, the video stream, there is the remaining amount of time equal to the time of downloading the entire file. Playback starts only after downloading the entire file. The initial part of the file is not loaded first. So it should be? What's the point playback stream? In fact, it's just playing the downloaded file. I thought I could run the video almost immediately after beginning to download and complete the download is already in the process of viewing. Please, make a normal play stream!

Archived