µTorrent 3.0 "Falcon" (32-bit) alpha 25207

Firon

The newest version STILL has problems when opening torrent files. If uTorrent isn't currently running when opening a file, all it does is open. You have to open the torrent file AGAIN for uTorrent to add it to the queue.

Please, fix the currently reported bugs before adding on new features. Stability and reliability should be held to a higher regard than feature set.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The newest version STILL has problems when opening torrent files. If uTorrent isn't currently running when opening a file, all it does is open. You have to open the torrent file AGAIN for uTorrent to add it to the queue.

I also have this bug on w7 32-bit.

I also have a problem with the size of the upload section in the status bar, you will need to widen it to fit a string like this.

U: [####K] ###.# kB/s L: ###.# kB/s O: ###.# kB/s T: ###.# kB

For the people who are saying it crashes on startup, how are you determining that it has crashed. When I first upgraded to the alpha, I could not get the GUI to display whatsoever (which to some people may seem like a crash). I have the application pinned to my taskbar, so I could see that it was open, but the GUI would not come to the screen, and the thumbnail preview showed a garbled GUI. I had to open task manager, right click on the application and select Maximize, and then the GUI would display. But everytime I minimised it, it would refuse to display again unless I went the task manager route. It wasn't until I added my first torrent while running the new version that the GUI finally sorted itself out.

- Change: Toggle minified interface stays centered on toggle button

I'm not so sure about this change, for me personally you have to make sure the window doesn't disappear off the edge of the screen when switching between interfaces (i managed to completely lose the title bar of the window when switching back to the full interface!), which then makes this change largely redundant.

Also when the full interface is maximised, if you switch to the minified interface you can't resize it's window until you have dragged it around first. And then when switching back to the minified interface it doesn't remember that you had the interface maximised.

net.max_halfopen 400

I use 3G (HSDPA) internet - MTS Connect, my prvider - MTS. www.mts.ru

I think that net.max_halfopen must not be bigger than 20!!!

When I start my uTorrent Alpha (build 18148) with 10-20 toorents (there are only seeds) after 10-30 seconds my provider disconnects me!!! I phone to MTS and they say the reason: you have too many connections!! It seems to us that you are Flooder!! And if you continue like this we will disconnec you forever!!!

Firon. 400 halfopen - its like flooding for providers. Even 50 halfopen - like flood!!!! Thats why many provider shaping traffic! And if you continue like this, EVERY provider will start shaping P2P traffic!!! Please in next release: think about it.

How is it possible to see the X flag [peer was included in peer lists obtained through Peer Exchange (PEX)] on a private torrent where Peer Exchange is "not allowed" ?

93222930.th.png

EDIT: None of the connected IPs for that torrent are IPv6 addresses.

How is it possible to see the X flag [peer was included in peer lists obtained through Peer Exchange (PEX)] on a private torrent where Peer Exchange is "not allowed" ?

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4026/93222930.th.png

EDIT: None of the connected IPs for that torrent are IPv6 addresses.

Despite what Switeck claims, there is not a bug with IPv6.

What's going on here is peers communicate to each other what their IPv4 and IPv6 addresses are when they connect. This allows peers to try to reconnect to each other using a different protocol if for some reason the connection fails (i.e. is RST by some malicious third-party...)

uTorrent refers to the "source" of these addresses as PEX, even though they did not come from the PEX message itself, but from a peer about itself directly.

What's going on here is peers communicate to each other what their IPv4 and IPv6 addresses are when they connect. This allows peers to try to reconnect to each other using a different protocol if for some reason the connection fails (i.e. is RST by some malicious third-party...)

uTorrent refers to the "source" of these addresses as PEX, even though they did not come from the PEX message itself, but from a peer about itself directly.

Is it possible to make this optional? Ideally, on per-torrent basis, but at least a flag in advanced options would be fine.

First, there's a security issue. Some bad client in swarm could report some random IPv6 address, thus poisoning swarm and making it connect to this address which could be a kind of DDoS, since other clients cannot validate such IPs. Same trick could be done by PEX, but this one will work even on torrents with private flag set.

Another reason is if I want to communicate on IPv6 only. I know I can block all IPv4 range by ipfilter.dat but what if I don't want my IPv4 address exposed at all? When this advanced flag is set maybe uTorrent should ignore other addresses it receives from other peers during handshake.

This will work like a kind of VPN that would totally hide my IPv4 address from anyone for privacy reasons.

Archived