µTorrent 3.0 "Falcon" (32-bit) alpha 25207

Firon

Hi,

Can you please make it so that if the user double clicks the system tray (notification area) icon and the uTorrent window is already open that it hides the window.

This appears to be the most popular way of doing things in this instance for windows applications.

Thanks,

Will

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Download speed drops drastically below cap speed when imposing cap.

Stable download at 1MB/s at unlimited speed. It's as fast as my dsl line will go. Switching to 750kB/s reduces download to +/- 250kB/s. Unlimited gives me 1MB again. Switching back lowers it to sub 300 again.

I reported this one last year and it still hasn't been fixed. :/

There is a bug in the download speed limiter in alpha 2.1. I was gonna post this earlier but I thought for sure someone else would. So, anyway, the problem is that if I use the global download limit, it limits the speed to about 2/3 of that limit. But, if I take off the global limit and instead use a per-torrent limit then it works properly. I tested this one torrent at a time and these are all well-seeded torrents from private trackers (they have no problem reaching max speed quickly if I use the per-torrent limit or no limit).

This only started happening since I started using 2.1; Before this I was using 2.0. Also, I started fresh with this version as far as settings.dat is concerned and I set up everything identical to how I had it in 2.0. My computer is clean, everything is configured properly, and it's not my ISP. I am 100% sure this is a bug in 2.1 alpha because other versions work fine. The upload speed limit works fine in all versions so it seems to just be the download speed limit being affected.

Example:

Torrent with no download limit = ~625KB/s

Same torrent per-torrent limit 512KB/s = ~512KB/s

Same torrent global limit 512KB/s = ~350KB/s

Note: Tested this with one torrent at a time and nothing else is using my connection. I can change from global limit to per-torrent limit and almost instantly see the speed rise, whereas If I use the global limit instead, speed drops almost instantly to about 2/3 of that limit. Can anyone else confirm this? I hope I explained it well enough. I would make a video of it but that's too much work and all it would do is show exactly what I described above.

2009-11-22

Also, on a separate note, if you don't use "Show Category List", whenever you restore the µTorrent window after it's minimized or in the tray, the "Drop files to share" stays behind for a split second, then goes behind the "Detailed Info" pane and stays there.

34ybvio.png

dhfzf4.png

23v0u8z.png

I know this has been reported before, but since I never use the "Category List", I didn't know where it was coming from. Now it's clear.

I have installed utorrent 2.1 20082 ( in windows 7 ) as portable app by putting "settings.dat" in the same folder. I have enabled the "allow remote connection" and entered the username and password.

I have edited the registry to allow utorrent to run automatically during system bootup ( in boss key mode , hidden )

for all users.

Now when when i login from any user account , utorrent says username already taken , please check settings

and i change the username and log off , and when i again login it says user name already taken , and i need to

change the username again and again..

Strange behavior.. utorrent should not ask for username whenever i login (from same or different accounts in windows 7 ) and must keep downloading silently in hidden mode as i have it as a portable application

thanks.

I've installed build 2.1.20082 today to look at new web access, but it seems I have some problems with creation of a new account.

Every time I enable Web Remote Access, fill in login and password, I get this message: "Couldn't contact the µTorrent web service to register" with these errors in log:

[2010-06-16 01:45:45]  NOTE: Settings file found in directory of executable; using that.[2010-06-16 01:45:45]     ***   Starting Diagnostic thread   ***[2010-06-16 01:45:45]  IPv6 is installed[2010-06-16 01:47:21]  Disconnected from WebUI proxy service[2010-06-16 01:47:24]  Error contacting WebUI proxy service: HTTP Error 400[2010-06-16 01:47:24]  PARSE key ["message"] string [{"status":"\/status\/error","message":"Unknown username.","code":"\/api\/attach\/no_such_user","response":{}}][2010-06-16 01:47:24]  PARSE key ["code"] string [{"status":"\/status\/error","message":"Unknown username.","code":"\/api\/attach\/no_such_user","response":{}}][2010-06-16 01:47:24]  PARSE key ["url"] string [{"status":"\/status\/error","message":"Unknown username.","code":"\/api\/attach\/no_such_user","response":{}}]

I'm using Win7 x64, gogoNET IPv6 Client, a router (with DMZ), and KIS 2010 if it helps.

Bugs that still exist in uT2.1

1. uT didn't remember latest window position on closing, cause on restart uT will center window instead e.g. maximizing it

2. help file should be updated, if you're too lazy now use latest for v2.0.1, cause I see outdated help for v1.8.3 (build 15772) in uT2.1

3. Sorting "#" in "Pieces" tab didnt work in "\/" mode

4. simply close uT, next download and open torrent in browser (association mode) and when uT starts nothing happens... but I should see some properties about torrent downloading (related to #1?)... ;p

5. problems with torrents with folders (torrent without folders are not affected)

e.g. torrent looks like this

Data\data1.dat

Data\data2.dat

when you download this torrent and stop it and next restart uT

uT will revert names to

Data\data1.dat.!ut

Data\data2.dat.!ut

even this files are downloaded in 100%

Bugs added in build 20082

6. I can't see files window when I add now torrents even if option is enabled for this in settings

I too, as of this release:

Don't see a dialog box upon adding a new torrent letting me choose which files to download.

I have "Show a windows that displays the files inside the torrent" and "Activate the program window" both checked under the section: Preferences, UI Settings, When Adding Torrents.

Also, for at least the last few releases, double-clicking a .torrent file when uTorrent isn't running, causes tha application to start, but doesn't add the torrent nor bring up a box to choose which torrent files to download. Reminds of a %1 kind of thing. I'm not a programmer so maybe that doesn't make sense.

Win 7 32-bit

There appears to be an issue with completed torrents that are larger than around 700+MB. Randomly when uT is opened, it will rename these stopped-but-completed large torrents back to .!ut and the only way (except manually) to get them back to normal is to start seeding ("click play") them.

Is there anyway to disable the streaming component of this new version? It prevents Windows 7 from going to sleep since it is keeping an audio stream in use.

I can tell this by running "powercfg -requests" on the command line, as soon as I close utorrent the audio driver is not in use anymore.

This new build adds the problem of no add dialog for a manual torrent add. I have been experiencing the same other problem as Cage22 for the last few versions on my Win XP SP3 machine. I thought maybe it was an issue with Windows' handling of file extensions, but everything seems to be kosher in the registry for that particular extension.

There also still exists a "drop files to share" label that appears even when the advanced preference to show the drop-zone is set to false. It appears for the first GUI draw when the window is made visible (application first run, maximized, etc...), then after whatever refresh time is set in advanced preferences, it is drawn over upon the refresh. Maybe an issue with double buffering of the GUI (if that is what's implemented)?

3.0 Alpha 20228

Problems still exists:

Don't see a dialog box upon adding a new torrent letting me choose which files to download.

I have "Show a windows that displays the files inside the torrent" and "Activate the program window" both checked under the section: Preferences, UI Settings, When Adding Torrents.

I tried unchecking the options, Apply, OK. Then re-applying. Didn't help.

3.0 Alpha 20228

Also, for at least the last few releases, double-clicking a .torrent file when uTorrent isn't running, causes tha application to start, but doesn't add the torrent nor bring up a box to choose which torrent files to download. Reminds of a %1 kind of thing. I'm not a programmer so maybe that doesn't make sense.

Win 7 32-bit

On my Windows XP SP3 system:

uTorrent 3.0 Alpha latest build (20228) fixes the "drop files to share" label appearing problem.

It also fixes the download window not appearing upon manual add problem.

It seems to introduce a problem: when a torrent is added manually, it is not added to the list of all torrents. To make it appear, I have to make the left Category List visible and select the main list item, "Torrents".

I like the new options in the preferences, less messing around in "advanced". Fantastic work, guys! uTorrent has always been my favorite client for many reasons, and it's becoming better and better. The steady development and attention to users and testers is a great software trait.

I just noticed something very interesting:

I'm uploading to a peer and have "Resolve IPs" turned on. Now instead of an actual IP address, it has my computer's localhost. I know it's not my computer or any local computer because it uses a different version of µTorrent and different port than mine. So, when I turned off "Resolve IPs", I got the actual IP address of the peer. Then, I did a quick whois check on it, and according to the whois information, the IPs in that range (123.16.*.*) resolve to "localhost"...so in effect, I get my own localhost displayed in µTorrent. Hmm, I did not think this was possible.

I think in this case it would be better to show only the IP, even when "Resolve IPs" is checked.

On Build 20228, I receive numerous errors when trying to download RSS Feeds such as "Unable to load" and then a crash occurs. After that, when I try deleting the feeds another crash occurs. When I try to send the dumps, it states that it's unable to send the dump. Also, when I'm on the Torrents Tab and press the tab in which I'm downloading uGadget, it still remains on the Torrent page. However, when trying to right click on the torrents, the menu does not appear.

Crash Dumps:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8423407/20228-utorrent.44e7.dmp

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8423407/20228-utorrent.561d.dmp

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8423407/20228-utorrent.a9cb.dmp

Also, let's assume I have 5 torrents. I download and open a new torrent. However utorrent will still show it as 5 torrents on the torrents tab. You have to manually click on the torrents tab so that it will update and show 6 torrents.

By the way, when I try to open a video through streaming, it says that the media player is not associated and gives an error but my media player is associated to the video so I think that's a bug.

And let's say you set share ratio to 100% and open a torrent, then change share ratio to 150%, the torrent still remains at 100% and you have to manually override default settings and change it to 150%.

@420:

VNPT, a Vietnamese ISP, seem to have PTR records pointing to "localhost" for some entire ranges of residential connections. For that range you gave, it's all gonna resolve to "localhost". Next time you see that, do a whois lookup and chances are you'll see it's a residential customer of VNPT. What's more, if your computer is named something other than "localhost", you'll actually see your own computer's name in the peers list if you have "Resolve IPs" turned on and you're connected to a peer like that!

I know, that's pretty much what I wrote in my post. :P

Anyway, my suggestion in this case is for µTorrent to show the IP even though "Resolve IPs" is checked. I like having "Resolve IPs" on because it gives me a little more info about where peers are located. But, in cases like this, it should show only the IP. I know this isn't hard to accomplish.

Archived