µTorrent 3.0 "Falcon" (32-bit) alpha 25207

Firon

2009-12-15: Version 2.1 (build 17687)

- Fix: streaming related bugs

- Fix: disconnect issue with seeds

- Fix: uTP over Teredo at high speeds, and MTU problems on some kinds of networks

- Fix: Add translations to new graph strings

2009-12-15: Version 2.1 (build 17618)

- Change: New default artwork

- Fix: webui would allow any name for guest account when enabled.

- Change: Added auto restart feature for use in minimized mode.

- Change: on Windows 7 default to not minimize to tray

- Change: tell user about buggy 3rd party software that might degrade uTorrent performance

- Fix: Added critical section to prevent race conditions in alternate builds

- Fix: Transfer Cap tab in preferences would display incorrect Uploaded / Downloaded

- Fix: fixed rare crash when using magnet links

- Fix: fixed crash when super seeding a torrent without metadata

- Fix: fixed handling of a uTP edge-case

- Change: complete upload-only extension support

- Feature: Add streaming buttons at torrent view and files tab

- Fix: plugged some string memory leaks

- Fix: various GUI crash bugs

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just tested the new version, it works much better, with less freezes. I was able to watch a HD video on a ISP offering bandwidth that was 33% of the bandwidth of the video, after 66% of the video has been downloaded.

I experienced only a few freezes (probably less than 10), mostly in the first 10 minutes of the 60 minute video. When the video finished downloading I already watched more than 50% of the video, so this is a big improvement.

It seems the "yellow blocks" issue is gone, now for the pieces near the current streaming position I see green blocks, and it works exactly as I suggested, it requests the piece, and if it's not received until the timeout, it requests it again.

What I think could be done to improve this is to reduce the timeout for "green" blocks, or increase the number of "green" pieces requested (increase the size of the streaming buffer ahead of the current streaming position), thus allowing several timeouts to occur before the video freezes. I think "buffering" request for "green" pieces covering a video duration three times larger than the timeout for "green" blocks should be enough.

The "streaming ready" status is still too optimistic, especially when download speed varies very much from minute to minute. When the download speed reaches a peak value for a few seconds, the estimated time to finish the download is very short, and appearently uTorrent immediately makes the "streaming ready" assesment based on that time.

It compares the estimated download time remaining with the length of the video, and if there is less time remaining it activates the streaming option. I think it should do some averaging of the download speeds over the last 5 minutes or so before making this assesment, and even add a 10% (or user customisable) tollerance, i.e. only mark the video as ready to stream when the time remaining for the download is less than 90% of the video length.

And it still keeps one core of my dual core CPU 100% occupied all the time, but I may be able to live with that for a while, now that streaming works acceptably.

latest 2.1 build performs, with bt.tcp rate control to false, much more better then 2.0 rc2. i am testing for 1 day and it is constantly at full speed, and i am behind firewall. later i am gonna try with bt.tcp rate control set to true.

edit: and with download limit set.

For those with download speed issues with bt.tcp_rate_control enabled, please try this special build. http://download.utorrent.com/beta/utorrent-utptest.exe

Please enable bt.tcp_rate_control and torrent as normal. See if you are getting better download rates (with and without a download limit set) with the default settings.

Furthermore, the Logger tab will be outputting some additional info that would be nice to have in a log. To log this data, right click in the box and choose Log to file. Type in an absolute path (e.g. c:\utp.log )

For those with download speed issues with bt.tcp_rate_control enabled, please try this special build. http://download.utorrent.com/beta/utorrent-utptest.exe

Please enable bt.tcp_rate_control and torrent as normal. See if you are getting better download rates (with and without a download limit set) with the default settings.

Furthermore, the Logger tab will be outputting some additional info that would be nice to have in a log. To log this data, right click in the box and choose Log to file. Type in an absolute path (e.g. c:\utp.log )

That Helped alot dunno why but it didnt even look like i was talking to the trackers at all till i used that link and ran that appication

This issue was already reported several times (twice by me alone) and it seems to have gotten ignored:

I think I have found a minor BUG in the 2.1 Beta (build 17085) version.

Steps to reproduce:

I click the 2nd toolbar button (Add torrent from URL).

Then I press the OK button on the "Add torrent from URL" dialog.

Then press the Advanced button and the list of trackers in the General tab is EMPTY.

Cancel that dialog and press OK on the Add torrent diaog.

Double click on the newly added torrent in the list and the trackers all correctly appear.

I like seeing what they are before activating the torrent. Sometimes I remove some of them. Used to be able to do it all on the one dialog whilst adding the torrent, now it requires another dialog to be opened and to do it separately.

LINK

It looks like you guys still haven't fixed the Trackers list appearing empty when the [Advanced...] button is clicked in the Add New Torrent dialog.

LINK

When you add a new torrent, anything you set in the Add New Torrent dialog is not saved. So, for example, if you set any speed limits they are not saved. When you double click the torrent in the list later (Properties), you can see that nothing was saved from your Add New Torrent dialog.

Also, as I mentioned before, the Add New Torrent dialog does not show any trackers (the list is empty).

LINK

Also, the pieces tab still shows an empty Completed column...something that has also already been reported:

Another thing i noticed in µTorrent 2.1 alpha (build 17085) is

under pieces menu it is not showing the completed blocks

LINK

The Completed column is empty.

partin.th.jpg

What are the dark green blocks?

bye

LINK

And, lets not forget the speed limiter issues:

There is a bug in the download speed limiter in alpha 2.1. I was gonna post this earlier but I thought for sure someone else would. So, anyway, the problem is that if I use the global download limit, it limits the speed to about 2/3 of that limit. But, if I take off the global limit and instead use a per-torrent limit then it works properly. I tested this one torrent at a time and these are all well-seeded torrents from private trackers (they have no problem reaching max speed quickly if I use the per-torrent limit or no limit).

This only started happening since I started using 2.1; Before this I was using 2.0. Also, I started fresh with this version as far as settings.dat is concerned and I set up everything identical to how I had it in 2.0. My computer is clean, everything is configured properly, and it's not my ISP. I am 100% sure this is a bug in 2.1 alpha because other versions work fine. The upload speed limit works fine in all versions so it seems to just be the download speed limit being affected.

Example:

Torrent with no download limit = ~625KB/s

Same torrent per-torrent limit 512KB/s = ~512KB/s

Same torrent global limit 512KB/s = ~350KB/s

Note: Tested this with one torrent at a time and nothing else is using my connection. I can change from global limit to per-torrent limit and almost instantly see the speed rise, whereas If I use the global limit instead, speed drops almost instantly to about 2/3 of that limit. Can anyone else confirm this? I hope I explained it well enough. I would make a video of it but that's too much work and all it would do is show exactly what I described above

LINK

You're welcome ;):P

Not sure if this has already been reported but my download speed with a few active torrents bounces between 200kb/s and 1600kb/s if the program is running at the background but when brought to foreground, download speed is steady 1600kb/s. I also get the Disk overloaded xx% in the bottom bar. I have not limited my download speed.

Edit: never mind about the first part. DL speed seems to drop when Disk overloaded message appears.

Edit2: uTorrent reported a couple of hangs.

Archived