How to relocate uTorrent .torrent files and filebase?

VulcanTourist

I would like to relocate my uTorrent .torrent files and filebase from one drive to another; the subdirectories would remain exactly the same, only the drive letter will change. I changed all the directory assignments in uTorrent, shut it down, and then moved the files, but now uTorrent complains that it can't find any of the active torrent files.

In the uTorrent program directory, I peeked into resume.dat and found that uTorrent had basically ignored the directory settings with regard to active torrents and had "hard-coded" their file system locations into that file. I tried editing resume.dat to simply change all instances of the old drive letter to the new one, which in theory *should* have worked, but uTorrent rejected the file, renaming it to resume.dat.bad and then reviving resume.dat.old instead. Tried that trick with both a hex and text editor, same result.

How do I finish this process, assuming I can? Is there a "canon" way of doing it?

Secondarily, why doesn't uTorrent rely on directory configurations for the .torrent files? The way that it ignores them and uses absolute rather than relative paths seems like something that should be addressed for the sake of portability. What good does it do to have an EXE that can be moved around and executed at will when it stores non-relative paths for data files?

I've downloaded BEncode Editor (thanks), but I *think* in the meantime I managed to do it finally with a hex editor. Right now uTorrent is claiming "Invalid download state, please try resuming" for all of them, but it seems to have found them. I've started force-rechecking all of them, and it seems to be working. (I should have mentioned earlier that I wasn't downloading anything, only seeding, so all the files were complete on disk.)

Would I have gotten to the same point with BEncode Editor, or would it have even saved me the rechecking?

Wait... this weird:

"Error: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service", and at the exact same moment Windows popped up in the tool tray warning about a new hardware device with a problem. This happened right in the middle of rechecking, on an internal disk drive. Huh? I might have to try BEncode after all....

I tried editing resume.dat to simply change all instances of the old drive letter to the new one, which in theory *should* have worked, but uTorrent rejected the file, renaming it to resume.dat.bad

Did you completely deleted the fileguard key at the top?... (Besides taking care of closing uT before making a backup copy of the file you want to alter and correcting the paths)

I rebooted, nothing more, and now it seems to be rechecking without any further trouble. I won't start seeding again until the checking is done. That "problem with new hardware" crap was bizarre! Just when you think you've earned those certifications on the wall....

BTW, I checked the box to be notified of new replies, but it didn't seem to work, so I'm wondering if the feature is broken or it's been disabled? If the latter, somebody might wanna remove the checkbox from the UI.

Archived