uT crashes, takes net with it

travelgirl

twice in the last few nights, i've left uTorrent running all night. both times, came back to find a white, unrefreshed uTorrent program screen when uTorrent used to be... at the same time, MSN Messenger and Outlook are both completely offline, as is any browser and other active connections...

attempting to close uTorrent does not kill process. Process Explorer can't kill the process. Killing the Explorer process that uTorrent attaches from doesn't kill uTorrent... it's indestructable until you reboot the machine (which must be done, as the machine is completely unstable at this point)...

if i'm not running uTorrent, i don't have these issues... running XP Pro SP2, half-open set to 100... 2 gig of ram, fairly large pagefile as well... max number of files being downloaded is 10, most being under 350meg in size. average number of concurrent downloads is usually about 3... more than enough spare disk space to eat all the files several times. version 1.4 installed. let me know if you need other information...

i've not seen anything quite like this in the Found Bugs area, so i thought i'd ask here...

00 travelgirl

http://www.parkgallery.org

Hi, i've been having roughly the same problem. However, mine doesnt hang, the utorrent just stops all downloading and i cant get on the net. Have to do a hard reset to both modem and router to reconect to the internet. Problem does not occur when not running utorrent. This problem also occured previously when i was using BitComet.

I tried to put fans around the router and modem as i thought it was a heat problem.

I updated firmware to latest. v1.42.024 for SMC 7004ABR -EU part no. 750.5703 (this is the router)

I forwarded the port utorrent required. Set a static ip address too.

Still the same. My utorrent is 1.4.1 beta 421

One more thing to add... when i go to www.WhatIsMyIp.com, they tell me my ip is 220.255.169.183, 165.21.154.138

However when i run "cmd" and type ipconfig /all , my ip is 192.168.2.27

So what gives ? which is which and for what ? =(

Anyone with solutions ? would most appreciate the help. =)

Many modems/routers (usually the router) overload because of DHT, and others overload because they can't handle so many connections. In the first case, turn off DHT, in the second reduce connections. A better solution is to get a modem/router that doesn't bite. I would suggest to connect directly to the modem and see if it happens. If it does, it's the router. If it doesn't, it's probably the modem.

Had the same problem as you, try this and see if it works for you: under preferences-> seeding priorities->seed while->ratio, change it to a larger percentage(I have mine set at 200%, upload @ 40KB/s). It may be a bug on some PC's or uTorrent. By the time I wake up I have up to 180% of the file uploaded and no crashes. Do chose a % number that you know you won't reach easily. Do turn off DHT, I find it useless as I download mostly from private trackers.

Alright, i'm trying garciamd's method for the night... will update in the morning. Thank you garciamd.=)

Ben, dun really understand how to apply ur solution. Would love to try it though. =p

Ultima, Firon, regarding connecting the modem diretly without router to see if this problem still arises, so what do i do if its the router's fault ? Since firmware is updated then is it a manufacturer's defect or is it a setting that i have to configure?

guys thankx for ur efforts. This is the most helpful and fast responding forums i've been to. =)

(no its not my first forum.... lol..)

^_^

I jus restarted my com because the speeds dropped to 0.0kb/s after exactly 13min..Checked Network connections and everything seems to be working fine.

Only IE refuses to bring me to any webpage and utorrent refuses to DL. =( must switch on switch off router and modem again...........

Forgot to mention, the first time used utorrent, i simul DLed 7episodes of Naruto. Woke up the next morning to see 2episodes completed and the rest stagnant at 0.0kb/s but with acertain % of completion meaning the connection lasted for at least 3-4hours. After which when i tried to connect to utorrent again, this 10 to 15min hang thingy occurs. Anything significant about that ?

Ultima, is there a way to tell the router to allow more connections if thats the case ?

(SMC 7004ABR -EU Part no. 750.5703)

And if even using the modem, the problem still stands ?

> But the downloads still gradually decreased to 0.0kb/s after about 10-15min or so...

this sounds like traffic shaping could be the possible culprit. If e-mail and internet are still working, your ISP is probably killing BT packets. if that's it, try getting the beta and forcing encryption

I cant connect to the modem straight without using the router. the modem doesnt even detect my computer when i plug it in. really weird. read up the instructions on how to connect to the net from the manuals but it cant detect. Tried to use my motherboard ethernet port while disabling the seperate network card and still no avail. <-----this problem is on the wrong forum i know...=p

As mentioned above, are these the only reasons/solutions to why my connection drops only after 10-15min ? if they are then i'll work around these solutions. and i'll go try BitComet again too.

Will update asap.

Don't think so, but total number of simultaneous connections just in general might take a router/modem down.

My router's limit is 512, and to stay within my limits, I have to disable DHT. Otherwise, the internet goes down for me too... only not as drastically as yours (the connection is regained after some entries in the session table are cleared).

Archived