How much do you seed?

the_snare

I know you should until your share ratio is at least 1.0 when or after you become a seed.

But, I thought about even being more generous. Seeding it until one of the peers I am uploading to becomes a seed as well. That way, they could do the same, so there would always been a seed, or more than one seed. Like a relay race, pass the baton to the next person.

But, it doesn't look like it's working out too well. It seems everyone disconnects as soon they become a seed

I think you missed my point. Yes, seeds don't stay connected to other seeds, because they both have 100% of the torrent. I know that.

But, you will usually see one or more seeds on a torrent, when you start downloading the torrent for yourself, during your download, and maybe even after you become a seed yourself. I'm guessing because they are trying to get their share ratio to 1.0, they don't always disconnect after becoming a seed.

What I'm saying is rather than become a seed and try to get my share ratio to 1.0. I could stay until one of the peers who is downloading from me becomes a seed themselves, so they could share the file with someone until they become a seed. It seems like it would work out pretty well. If there's always at least one seed on the torrent, it will keep it alive.

Seeding in theory is to ratio 1.0. Of course, this depends on the torrent popularity and vitality.

If the torrent is sharing/seeding by hundreds or thousands peers, you can seed to 0.4 to 0.6. Or practice hit & run like many pure leechers.

If the torrent has only few peers, is dying and your are the only seeder, so you can share more than 1.0. The same if you like this torrent and you want to keep it alive during a long time.

Archived