Jump to content

utorrent 1.8.5 in WINE, upload speed climbs then drops to almost 0


lukano

Recommended Posts

I've got an Ubuntu 9.04 server on a 100mbit line, and as much as I want to try to use torrentflux and rtorrent, nothing beats uTorrent for multi-tracker torrents. It just makes my life easier.

So I managed to get 1.8.5 running in WINE (1.1.32) (2.0 beta also ran, but was a mess and unusable for me), and I've seen speeds in excess of 6MB/s being pushed out, so I know it's able to do it. As I've been monitoring it the last few days, I've noticed that those speeds will occasionally bottom out to almost 0 - stay that way for a minute or two, then start to climb again.

There's no firewall restrictions on the utorrent port, it's listening just fine. Encryption is enabled, but not forced - and incoming legacy connections are allowed. Download speeds seem fine and not to fluctuate, just upload. The host for the server allows torrent traffic, and in no way shapes or throttles it (unless for some reason utorrent is discouraged and I'm unaware of it or the reason why).

I've played with all of the disk caching options, though I doubt most really apply with utorrent in WINE. Nothing seems to make a difference, though I may have overlooked an obvious combination of settings.

Any ideas on where to start trying to troubleshoot? I know it could be WINE, it could be utorrent, it could be the way it all works with linux, or the way it's writing to the RAID0 mdadm / lvm storage volume. I'm just not sure what might be causing it or where to begin.

Any thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a server on a dedicated VPS host that specifically allows torrent traffic. Somehow I think they'll have hardware and infrastructure capable of handling the load. I am 100% positive your suggestion is not the case, as I can manage well more than 100 connection and heavy load with rtorrent, ktorrent, azureus, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That did it, thank you. Specifically the following is what I changed, and the upload drop has since disappeared.

Try various uTP settings? (Set Preferences > Advanced > bt.transp_disposition to 15 to enable, 10 to force, 5 to disable)

I set mine to 15.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

im having the same prob but im using the old reliable 1.6.1 and dont see the option mentioned above in advanced tab any suggestions? i did set net.max_half open to 4 instead of 8 and seems to help some but it still isnt running like it should and i cant get more than a 1 or 2 meg upload speed and then drops to zero ,over and over , it used to hit 8 to 9 meg constantbefore ubuntu ,wine ,and utorrent reinstall

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually I think I may have figured it out. It appears to have been disk cache related. When I disable any and all disk caching (both 'windows' and the utorrent caching) everything seems to clear up. That being said, I haven't tested this under heavy load - so I'm not sure how well it will scale with no caching.

I had the same behavior with utorrent in WINE vs utorrent in a Windows VM - and figured it had to be IO on the array I was saving to (locally via wine, over bridged network with the vm) - so I threw caution to the wind and disabled absolutely all forms of caching in the options. Suddenly my speeds no longer dropped out like they were doing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oops you replied as I edited in the second paragrah.

I had tried both default and auto cach sizing, as well as specifying sizes from 32mb up to 600mb. I tried with and without the Windows cache options on, as well as trying both of those combinations with the utorrent read/write caching on off. Yes it's a lot of combinations, but I'm pretty sure I ran the gambit.

Also in correction to my previous post, now that I think on it - I'm pretty sure I was saving the utorrent-in-wine downloads via a mapped network share (z:\). I wonder if bridging in both cases was the common link in behavior between install scenarios.

edit - also I forgot I had reported the utp fix I replied to back in December, as a fix. It turns out it was only a short term fix, and the problem came back. Thus my further investigation with utorrent in a windows vm, leading to this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...