Jump to content

Peers dropping (disonnects and timeout errors)


uFish

Recommended Posts

I've lately been having a lot of trouble uploading torrents. Specifically, this is for a private tracker, and I have 5 torrents sitting at 100% for seeding. I'm fairly sure it's not the problem of the private tracker, because I am getting similar problems with the OpenOffice torrent.

I regularly get 1.5-1.8 MB/s down, and am connected wirelessly to my router (WRT54GL v1.1 loaded with Tomato 1.25, on Windows 7). However, when it comes to upload, I can't connect to any peers. I should be getting about 100 KB/s upload max, but instead I only get 1-2 KB/s briefly and peers drop constantly. This was using uTorrent 1.8.5. I looked around the site and have done everything suggested; my current connection settings are set in compliance with the suggested ones on this forum.

DHT is off in both cases, UPnP and NAT-PMP are off, I have a Static DHCP & Port Forwarding going on my router, and it shows that the correct port is open fine. Windows Firewall service is disabled and forced off, and there is no other firewall.

Glasnost shows there is no indication of throttling from my ISP and things work as expected. I use Shaw, and I am in BC, Canada.

Peer error: offline (timed out) and Disconnected: Connection Closed show up almost constantly when I check them through Peer Traffic Logging.

Hopefully this is enough information to start out, I should mention that interestingly I tried updating to uTorrent 2.1 Beta and I found that I connected to one peer succesfully for about 5 minutes and sent a constant 80 KB/s to this peer, until they disconnected by Disconnect: Connection Closed - but while I was uploading I was getting constant "errors" as I understand? (All items under Error Logging checked)

[2009-11-07 01:10:37] 77.49.71.1:60123 [uTP] [µTorrent 1.8.4 (98.2)]: Got Have 175

[2009-11-07 01:10:37] 77.49.71.1:60123 [uTP] [µTorrent 1.8.4 (98.3)]: Got Have 844

[2009-11-07 01:10:37] 77.49.71.1:60123 [uTP] [µTorrent 1.8.4 (98.4)]: Got Have 749

[2009-11-07 01:10:37] 77.49.71.1:60123 [uTP] [µTorrent 1.8.4 (98.4)]: Got Have 1241

[2009-11-07 01:10:33] 77.49.71.1:60123 [uTP] [µTorrent 1.8.4 (98.2)]: Sending Piece 1169:622592->16384

[2009-11-07 01:10:33] 77.49.71.1:60123 [uTP] [µTorrent 1.8.4 (98.2)]: Sending Piece 1169:638976->16384

[2009-11-07 01:10:33] 77.49.71.1:60123 [uTP] [µTorrent 1.8.4 (98.2)]: Sending Piece 1169:655360->16384

[2009-11-07 01:10:33] 77.49.71.1:60123 [uTP] [µTorrent 1.8.4 (98.2)]: Sending Piece 1169:671744->16384

Things have improved with very peer-heavy torrents I see now like 4(100) peers, but I am still having massive timeouts and connections closed. Anyone see a pattern?

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I realize this might be the case, but I am not happy to simply throw away all the information I have gathered in an attempt for help. As I said, I have no problem AT ALL downloading to the limit of my connection, which is 15 Mbits (which I'm sure is 1000 Kbits per Mbit, since that's how they advertise these days which translates to 1.8 MB/s) and have had success intermittently uploading to the maximum of my upload today, which is 1 Mbit, so about 100 KB/s.

The problem as I can see it is peer timeout and other errors showing in the traffic log. Is there any theoretical way of fixing these issues?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any peers/seeds no longer running the torrent AND any peers/seeds that are firewalled will *ALWAYS* generate a Peer error: offline (timed out) when an outgoing connection attempt to them is made. This is normal, common, and standard behavior.

Lots of cable ISPs declare their burst speeds as their "up to" amounts, never intending to allow customers to use the max burst speeds for more than a couple minutes at a time. If that's the case with Shaw, all you can do is try lower max upload speeds. :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I'm getting the same problem. Been using Utorrent for like 2 years, no problems. Went to Windows 7 Ultimate, no problems. Got a new mobo and reverted to WinXP Pro, and all of a sudden, I can't connect to any peers anymore. Downloads speeds are still normal and I can connect to peers from torrents that are currently downloading but I can't seed a damn thing. I can sometimes connect to 1 peer and reach the upload limit but only for like 5-10mins and it's back to nothing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...