Not connectable...HELP NEEDED DESPERATELY

prabhatdreamz

I've been getting the "not connectable.." red circle at the bottom. I went through a lot of sites and forums, and tried most of the advises doled out on those sites. But nothing changed. I even tried to use some other client, but there, too, no difference. My ISP doesn't use router. They use switch (absolute basic) for all the connections and neither do I have my own modem, wherein I can do all R&D. The ISP says they didn't do any changes on their side and neither did I on my side. The speeds were up to the mark about 10 days ago. But, then it started to dwindle even for darn healthy torrents. And, the number of seeders as well as leechers would decrease substantially, to even 0 sometimes. I just don't know what to do. Please help. As my connection is more of a waste this way. Because I use net mostly to dld stuffs through torrents. But, considering the problem, it's like my net charges are going for a waste.

I mean there is not much info. All I can say is about a week or so back, everything was working perfectly. Nothing was changed. Not even a new s/w was installed. I'd queue around 8 torrents to dld and get speed at around 115KBPS. But, all of a sudden it just changed. Yes, the linx u've provided were one of the first few things I rummaged through and tried them, too. But, nothing. As for port forwarding goes, I mean, how can I do that if there's no router of any sort between my PC and my ISP. I've been using this ISP for the past 6 odd years. But, I've never had this sort of problem. I don't know if there's any more info I can provide you with. If you think I'm missing out on something, then please specify it. Coz, I'm just lost completely right now and very annoyed with utorrent problem. Thanks for the prompt reply though.

My ISP is nivyah broadband, cable net (Sanpada, Navi Mumbai). Utorrent ver 1.81. Also tried 1.5, 1.6, 1.7. Setting wise, whatever was suggested on the forums I visited. Like the global max connections was suggested by one particular site to be 900. Then, enabling DTH, protocol encryption to be either enabled or forced (tried both). "Allow incoming legacy connections" to be checked. Honestly, I have no idea about the effect these changes do. And the networking thing, I'm not sure about the answer. But, does PPPoE have to do anything with it? I'm not n/w savvy. So I just needed you to guide me on what more info I shud provide. I hope whatever I've provided is close to enough.

Maybe u didn't understand my query. I said, maximum dld speed I get is 120KBPS, and that's what I've been getting for the past 3 odd months(except past one week) ever since I switched to nivyah broadband from in2net broadband (too many net conn problems there). And upload, too, is in the same speed bracket. I gave you all the info I could. And my problem is the port forwarding thing not the speed decline that happens as a result. And, no. It's not a ADSL. My connection isn't shared by any other services. Even though it's a cable net (i.e, provided by the guys who also provide cable conn), but they aren't my cable provider, too. So, the line is used just for my net connectivity. I just want to know, with my present situation, how can I get rid of port forwarding problem, the source of all my speed problems in TORRENTS, not HTTP dld speeds? If it's too much for you, it's okay if you don't want to continue providing me your assistance. Maybe, my situation isn't clear enough for you. No problem. Thanks for bearing with me so far.

Network topology type (ADSL, cable, fiber, other) can sometimes clue us into whether your connectivity device (modem!) is also a mini-router with firewall that needs complex configuration.

Usually cable ISP modems are very simple devices.

But ADSL modems are often modem-routers even if they only have 1 Ethernet connector on them.

PPPoE is almost always used by ADSL services and almost never used by cable services. It is sometimes used by fiber-based ISPs...

If you only have 120 KiloBYTES/second max download speed and roughly similar upload speed max, then you shouldn't need nor should you use >120 global or per-torrent connection max.

If you are firewalled, and you've ruled out firewalls on your computer or router as the cause...the simple explanation is your "modem" may contain a mini-router/firewall *OR* your ISP is firewalling you further past the modem. One thing to check for is if your modem's WAN ip is in a LAN ip range -- if it is, your ISP almost certainly is firewalling you by not giving you a dedicated internet ip.

Archived