uTorrent causing intermittent slowdowns of entire computer.

sharkface

when i start a new torrent, i am faced with a huge slowdown of all processes on my computer. it because nearly unusable. 35-40 seconds to open a browser, 30 seconds to alt-tab between programs, ect ect. this usually lasts about 4-5 minutes. I imagine this is because it's begining to write to the disk, however from then on it usually slows the computer down in the same way at random intervals lasting anywhere from 30seconds to 2 minutes. If I pause the torrent I'm downloading, it stops this behavior nearly immediately. I have tried all of the troubleshooting steps i can find related to disk writing, but none seem to help. I have 15 gigs free on my drive so it shouldn't be a matter of space and I've defragged and scan disked in an attempt to solve the problem. It doesn't matter if I have an anti-virus installed or not and it doesn't matter what router I am using. any ideas?

Read the entire section.

http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#Incompatible_software

And yes, what anti-virus you have DOES matter. Firewall too, believe it or not.

what im saying is, i have tried it with no anti-virus and with no firewall at all and the behavior is the same. i have tried it behind 4 different routers. it has to be something with my computer or another factor of my windows install.

i looked at the faq anyways, i use none of those programs or routers.

uninstalled. i don't use a firewall because i dont use the internet unless im behind a router with a firewall. I uninstalled my old anti-virus, norton, and used my computer with out one for a while. Then I installed kaspersky. The problem has been present with ALL of my permutations of anti-virus setup. It's not as simple as something in the FAQ or I would have tried that. I even uninstalled kaspersky once on a hunch from the faq. I understand you deal with people who don't read the FAQ and ask simple questions that have been answered a thousand times here, but I dont' think this is one of those. i came here because I wanted help troubleshooting.

Sadly enough, even with this problem I still choose utorrent because even with this problem i'm having its still better than what is out there because it runs perfectly when im just seeding and uses barely any processor time or physical memory. It only does it when I'm downloading, and I have attempted to troubleshoot it every time i see it happening but i've had no success at making the problem better.

Erf you don't sound like a newbie who'd unknowingly have malware installed on his computer... otherwise that's the next question I'd have asked xD

Hm... I'll just ask some random questions in hopes that some of them might help us troubleshoot...

1) Have you tried connecting directly to the modem? Some people have reported computer slowdowns due to their router...

2) Can you tell us your computer specs?

Edit: Uh... can't think of any more questions... lol...

I don't know what say man. :/

1.) Are you sure you have DMA enabled? Check the mini-guide on how to access it if you're not sure.

2.) Did you set your diskio.write_queue_size to 2x - 4x your maximum download speed? Have you done the same with the diskio.read_cache_size parameter? :|

3.) Use SysInternals' ProcessExplorer and FileMon (when you're downloading something) to find out exactly which process is taking up so much CPU time/Hard Disk activity, respectively.

Erf you don't sound like a newbie who'd unknowingly have malware installed on his computer... otherwise that's the next question I'd have asked xD

Hm... I'll just ask some random questions in hopes that some of them might help us troubleshoot...

1) Have you tried connecting directly to the modem? Some people have reported computer slowdowns due to their router...

2) Can you tell us your computer specs?

Edit: Uh... can't think of any more questions... lol...

hehe, i got the job i have right now because i removed the right persons spyware. he had a bunch of gross rootkits and what not.

as far as directly the modem goes, no i haven't. i will do that next time im able to. I cannot do it at home because my roommate is addicted to WoW and he'll attack me with a kitchen knife if i bogart the connection lol. I should be able to do it at work.

My computer is a toshiba m35 laptop. it has a 60 gig hard drive. It has an intel wireless card. It's certainly fast enough. i believe it is a 1.75ghz p4-m. 512 megs ram.

lol attacking people with kitchen knives can be dangerous... ;P

Your computer is undoubtedly fast enough to run µTorrent... try 1c3d0g's suggestions -- though I suspect the first one probably doesn't apply to you, since most people's drives are set to DMA by default already (edit: heh I guess I was wrong =P). But in case, I'll just quote the relevant part of his guide:

Also, I want to make sure your hard disk is properly tuned to read/write bits & pieces of data as fast as possible too. I won't go into details, as this is not a technical guide, but let's just say that DMA (Direct Memory Access) speeds up your drive quite a bit, so you want to make sure it's set in that mode and not in PIO. Sometimes a drive will revert back to PIO mode if a certain amount of "corruptions" or failures have ocurred, usually around 5. It's important to keep checking the modes the drives are operating in from time to time. Anyway, the instructions are roughly as follows: Right-click My Computer ? Properties ? Hardware ? Device Manager ? IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers ? Primary IDE Channel ? Advanced Settings. Click on the drop-down menu and select DMA if available. Click OK. If you have more drives, set them to DMA as well. You may also want to do this for the Secondary IDE Channel. As a last step, defragment your hard disk regularly with Disk Defragmenter, since using BitTorrent generally will cause your hard disk to be fragmented more often.

I don't know what say man. :/

1.) Are you sure you have DMA enabled? Check the mini-guide on how to access it if you're not sure.

2.) Did you set your diskio.write_queue_size to 2x - 4x your maximum download speed? Have you done the same with the diskio.read_cache_size parameter? :|

3.) Use SysInternals' ProcessExplorer and FileMon (when you're downloading something) to find out exactly which process is taking up so much CPU time/Hard Disk activity, respectively.

This appears to be somewhat helpful, I am running in PIO mode even though I have told windows to operate in DMA. I will reboot to check my bios and double check its set right there and see if it is utorrent making it switch because of failures as I suspect. Also, setting my write_queue and read_cache to the correct sizes helped my download speed by around 15kB/s. Thanks!

I will start another torrent in a sec and get back to you with results on 1 & 3..

i assumed ultima was correct. that most harddrives are set to dma automatically and since i remember specifically checking that setting a while ago, I thought that it would stay that way. I was wrong. Windows will default your disk access to PIO incase of 6 failed read attempts. my computer started in 25 seconds as opposed to 2 minutes and this makes me very very happy. I already can remember when i had 6 hard disk failures a while back when i was crashing my computer on purpose so I could get a memory dump. It caused my indexing to fail and that for some reason caused event 52's (i think) to happen. Anyways, it was LOCKED in PIO mode so I had to change a few registry settings to get it to switch back. But it being in PIO mode explains everything. Thanks for the help!!!

Sorry if I'm restating anything (didn't read replies).. But are torrents being checked for corruption during this period? Granted my p266 doesn't slow down that much, (however it can take ALOT more than 5 minutes depending), but torrent checking kills my performance (and rightfully so)..

Boy do I hate it when I crash mid flow with 3 or 4 complete seasons downloading..:)

Archived