uTorrent Crashes because of VCOM (System Suite) Please Help

Uncle Meat

I get this message when I open uTorrent,

"uTorrent is not compatible with 'VCom Fix-It' (Mxavlsp.dll) that appears to be installed on your computer. That program causes severe bugs, and might cause uTorrent to crash or behave strangely, including but not limited to using up all your RAM and freezing. Please uninstall that program if you experience any problems."

followed by "uTorrent has crashed, unable to generate crash dump." a few seconds later.

Do I have to uninstall all of System Suite 6 to avoid this problem? I had an older version of SS before, and uTorrent ran fine, but i'm getting this problem now. Is there a way I can remove the "Mxavlsp.dll" file mentioned and leave everything else? I tried to manually delete it, but it wouldn't let me. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Microsoft has shown a propensity for slipping things into their new antispyware/antivirus suites that slow or outright disable anyone's software that they don't like.

...It would be a shame if µTorrent became one of the things they don't like, epecially if we are recommending µTorrent users to also use Microsoft's "Defender".

Microsoft also proved nearly incompetant at making a secure environment in the first place, as most of the vectors into the computer have come from serious programming errors that shouldn't have made it out of beta-testing.

They aquired a 2-bit antispyware software from a 3rd-party company they bought out (via their own printed currency, their corporate stock)...rebranded it, and are selling it as their own.

I'm not sure how one user recommending a piece of software on the forums would make µTorrent look bad. Windows Defender is a decent piece of software, from reports I've read (I personally don't use it). And Microsoft didn't just rebrand it. That may have been the case in the first release, but if you've actually been following it, you'd know that it's been more-or-less reworked, and runs as a service and whatnot now -- totally different from the previous version.

They'd HAVE to!

The version that was causing all the "Microsoft says BearShare is a virus!" reports we got as BearShare beta testers was extremely bad...and barely renamed software at the time it was a beta. Turns out Microsoft considered even .magnet format files to be part of the 'spyware' -- this is the same as calling a .torrent file part of a 'spyware'. Sadly most of the details behind this was lost when MPAA/RIAA ordered BearShare to cease and desist...and BearShare shut down their message forums.

I have nothing but distrust for Microsoft because even after the makers of BearShare notified Microsoft of the very incorrect identification (even considering BearShare Pro as spyware-ridden) ...it remained unfixed even 6 months later. (I do not know if it's fixed now in the "finished" product, but I doubt it.) Fraud, fraud I tell you!

Now Microsoft is launching Avalanche and posting how it's "much better" than BitTorrent. I wouldn't be surprised if Avalanche has special immunity (backdoor workarounds) for the 10 half-open connection limit. After all, it'd make it look better.

Who said Microsoft's "launching" Avalanche as a direct competitor to BitTorrent? It was a part of Microsoft's R&D division that was "developing" something like it, but Microsoft never said they were releasing it for the same uses as BitTorrent. Heck, they never said they would be forming a real product out of it either. Also (this isn't a swipe at you, but a genuine inquiry)... why are you using Windows then if you have nothing but distrust for Microsoft?

Microsoft themselves released a sponsored study showing how "inefficient" BitTorrent is versis Avalanche. This was possibly not to directly compete with BitTorrent but to discredit its maker in his attempts to make a commercial product similar to BitTorrent.

Habit...still using Win 98SE. Gutted it to the core almost with something called 98Lite/LitePC. It's becoming more borg-like as I find 3rd party replacements for as much of it as I can.

However the little things like M$ antispyware declaring Claria no big deal:

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/07/07/1234217&tid=158

Or the 50 or so false positives of companies not on the best of terms with Microsoft:

http://www.prowebsites.net/Microsoft_Anti_Spyware/Mark_L_Fergusons.asp#1

About the Claria thing... Now while that doesn't perfectly excuse Microsoft, the facts lean toward Microsoft not actually playing favorites because of talks with certain companies.

And as for the >= 50 false positives... I see some things in it that indicate that it's probably not targetting... Diskeeper? They're on good terms with Microsoft. BootVis? It's made by Microsoft. "Sports" and other folders in Favorites? Not sure why that's there, but no indication that it's because of some kind of competition. "beta.toolbar.msn.com as a browser hijacker homepage" speaks for itself. I could go on with those examples, but won't bother ;P

NOTE: I don't use Windows Defender (nor have I used Windows AntiSpyware) =]

• 8 months later...

I thought I must be the only one. I used a clone killer to free up some space on my hard drive and accidentally deleted some system files. Spent 4 days repairing my system, then this happend.

I've also used Vcom Fix It system suite and U torrent for a while with no problems since this seems to happening this month I'm wondering if has to with the latest Fix It updates.

If I have to make a choice I guess I'll switch to System Mechanic unless someone can recommend another system suite. I'm currently running avg (active), avast (passive) and kpf.

It's happened spastically for some people, even though the suite works fine for a while. System suites generally don't do much good for computers, and often bring more headaches, so if anything, I'd suggest that you don't bother with a suite at all. If you need to clean up junk files, maybe you can check out CCleaner or something. Other than that, I personally can't (and wouldn't) really recommend any system suites.

Archived