RAM gradually increasing then PC dies

simmy

a) get HijackThis from www.trendmicro.com, run it, view the log, and post the contents here

B) get Process Explorer from www.sysinternals.com, run it, Ctrl+D (to show the lower DLL pane), select the µTorrent process from the list, Ctrl+S (and save the list somewhere you'll find easily -- like the Desktop), then post the contents of the saved process list in the .txt file here

OK. Before I do that from what I see in the resource monitor (Win7 64bit btw) there about a dozen svchost.exe services running that seem to be using most of the memory and when I close uTorrent the svchost.exe processes gradually disappear. uTorrent.exe itself doesn't seem to be consuming any extraordinary amount of memory.

OK. I think I solved the issue. First I decided to set my own cache size - it did seem to slow down a bit the RAM buildup, but RAM was still building up. So then I Disabled Windows caching of disk writes & reads and it immediately freed up RAM and there is no buildup anymore. From what I see now is that there was a lot Standby memory with the old settings. Thanks for your help Ultima!

Thanks for the kind words!

Would it be too much if I ask what are the "mechanics" behind the Windows caching - what it is, how it works? I tried searching but all I find are threads that pretty much experience my problem and the solution to them - to disable the cache. What exactly is this Windows cache and why does it build up?

Also, on a side note if anyone comes across this thread - I've set back uTorrent to automatically set cache size - it has no effect in my situation.

The Windows system cache is intended to be a system-wide cache for stuff.

The issue is, I believe, that Windows thinks it can't write stuff to disk fast enough, so what it does (in a stupid fashion) is that it starts paging other programs to disk to have more memory available for caching... but that's a really, really stupid thing to do.

Archived