I mean seriously.......

someguyouknow

free servers are still legal in bulgaria.. they tried to stop them a few months ago but then they understood that this couldn't restrict the distribution of illegal stuff and now they're running at 100% :P there are more important things to be sorted out in bulgaria than dealing with illegal software or other similar stuff

They can't look in your computer with or without PeerGuardian, unless you don't have adequate protection (firewall) -- in which case the authorities shouldn't be your biggest priority... And how can you personally guarantee that PeerGuardian actually helps? Just because you use it and haven't been caught doesn't mean it's a guaranteed protection.

Internet rule #1: nothing, and I do mean nothing, is 100% safe. Everyone who turns on that modem knows that as long as their PC is connected, it can be broken into. That is the "risk" everyone has to take to enjoy e-Freedom. If you don't want to be hacked, unplug from the Web. Now, just because something can be broken into doesn't mean it will be. Your car parked outside can just as easily be broken into, yet you still own that car, don't you? That's the price you are knowingly willing to pay for your mobility. It's all relative, really. :)

I 100% agree with both of you. Regarding Peerguadian, perhaps I was overzealous. It has a huge daily updated list of IP's of companies and authorities who could check you out, for most P2P programs, firewall or not your IP will be available (I have to unblock my p2p programs in the firewall for them to work).

I live in Hong Kong, where I was phoned twice regarding sharing files on the ED2k network. It was after the second warning where i discovered Peerguardian, as soon as I ran Emule and connected to a server : Blocked Sony Hong Kong (among many other organisations). Sony Hong Kong never called again. Of course, Peerguardian relies on user submitted IP addresses which are checked and corrected pretty much daily, so it's not as if it's some magic blocker. While I was lucky with Sony, perhaps others might have been as lucky as me.

Of course, it's certianly better than nothing

Dunno, I've always wondered that too... maybe it's the fact that just because you're reported to be in the swarm by the tracker doesn't prove that you're downloading/uploading? They can't tell how much of the file you have unless they actually connect to you.

@Captainbuddy: I guess it is better than nothing, but yeah, overzealous isn't so great sometimes ;P

I guess the laws work diffrently in every contry.

I think in Sweden, not having a complete file isn't considered a crime. I.e., a movie chopped in .rar's (if it's not compressed and viewable if you only have a small part, I think it falls under copyright), a part of an application and so forth.

This is why I believe the authoritys must be able top look in to your computer to actually see the illegal content.

(Of course, if they find your IP in a swarm, they could make a house call, allthough I suppouse it's VERY rare!).

My tip is to encrypt your HD.

Bribery would get you pretty much anything in Mainland China but Hong Kong has the ICAC all over the place :)

Hong Kong has changed quite a bit over the years, when I first came here there were pirate movie / game shops everywhere and pretty much out in the open, now

it's rather hidden, there's still some relatively open places but the police usually close it down.

Last year the government announced a crackdown on internet sharing, mostly through bittorrent and since then they've made like two arrests. I think it's just to scare people. Additionally, they didn't catch this guy by seeing his IP downloading / sharing in the bittorrent client, it was because he posted in a forum "Hey! I'm sharing .... and .... and ...., here is the torrent file!" All the files he was sharing were Hollywood movies. I use Emule more than Bittorrent and usually just use it download fansubbed anime and some obscure foreign film that I wouldn't be able to buy easily.

The ICAC is the independant Committe against Corruption, oh I love Wikipedia :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_Commission_Against_Corruption_of_Hong_Kong

Regarding P2P, I feel morally better downloading that way because when you buy pirated stuff, it goes straight into the Triad Society's pockets and I don't want to sponsor those dirtbags. :)

Any place that launches a sudden P2P attack for the first time will probably find that they haven't developed the laws in that area or that they are too vague.

im not worried about this at all, its not like some FBI guy will come into my house and be like:" you ar arrested for downloading illegal files through bittorrent." even if they are tryin to stop illegal file sharing they would try to shut bittorrent down first, not going around catching sharers. thats just what i think :P

Archived