TCP/IP stack crashing on XP Home (Asus EEE B202)

fcosenti

Hello,

since the past couple of versions of uTorrent, I am experiencing an extremely annoying bug, which is making uTorrent completely useless.

I am running it on an Atom box (Asus EEE B202) running XP Home, which I enabled with unblocka (to increase maximum number of concurrent TCP connections to 600).

Torrent downloads start successfully, yet the entire TCP/IP stack freezes completely after a few minutes of downloading. This happens with *all* torrents.

By TCP/IP stack freeze, I mean that the machine cannot be pinged anymore - no ethernet communications of any kind (VNC included) are working. Unplugging the ethernet cable and plugging it back resets the adapter, and everything starts to work again, for a few minutes.

I am sure it is uTorrent because I run a Mailserver on the same machine, and it is up and running for weeks at a time without a glitch - not until I start uTorrent downloads.

Any idea? I believe it started happening since the past couple of versions - older version were working absolutely fine, even when downloading 3-4 torrents concurrently, so it is not the machine itself (CPU is low, memory usage is low).

I am more than sure that there are hundreds of people here removing the limitation in XP to 10 concurrent connections using tools like Unblocka.

As I mentioned, I would rather know if in the past few versions of uTorrent, there have been changes causing load on the system to increase at the point to cause a collapse of the TCP/IP stack, which was handling it properly previously.

Before changing parameters on my Operating System, I would consider the primary cause of this issue, that is uTorrent.

I am more than sure that there are hundreds of people here removing the limitation in XP to 10 concurrent connections using tools like Unblocka.

Perhaps, but does that make them right?

No.

And given how little information you've given, I have to assume that the product you're using is the cause until proven otherwise.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992

This is the typical "IT-guy" attitude towards resolution of the problems - that is, starting to shoot randomly rather than using a direct approach to something 'uncomfortable'.

Let me ask you something. If you have a car working perfectly, you change the tyres, and you start having issues immediately with steering and noise, do you blame your steering wheel, your carburator, and you change the oil? Or, do you go to the tyre shop and pretend an immediate refund and fix?

Nevermind, I will look for another torrent program, it is easier.

You're killing your networking hardware with too many connections. Either the drivers for your NIC are deficient or your firewall (if you have one) is crumbling under the load.

Either way, it doesn't really have anything to do with uTorrent. uTorrent can't magically break your system's networking. All it does is standard Winsock calls.

Guys, I don't want to sound nasty, but can you please READ before jumping to conclusions? I have been using for 1 year uTorrent with this configuration. No problems whatsoever. Since the past 2 updates to uTorrent, the machine started choking and the TCP/IP stack crashing.

If it was the way you guys are saying, it should never have been working at all.

The machine is ok - it runs a mail server 24/7 for weeks without issues. I start uTorrent, I put 1 torrent file, it works for a while then it kills the network. How can it be NOT uTorrent? 1.7 was fine, I think that even 1.8.1 or 2 was fine.

Archived