1.1.4 HUGE MEMORY LEAK

eighto2

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry if you already know all of this...

In task manager, you can select additional columns to display the other memory statistics for each process. Add the following columns: "Virtual Memory Size" and the two below it "Paged Pool" and "Non Paged Pool".

Now sort each of those columns and have a look at what's largest. Also check the "System Cache" size on the "Performance" tab - that's the disk cache...

At the moment, I've only got one torrent running, with only a handful of peers, and utorrent is using 1.7mb of VM and about 2.5mb of physical memory - my disk cache is sitting at 170mb and rising - and my available is dropping at a matching rate. (disk cache now at 180mb) Don't stress about your cache and available memory - Windows handles it all so you don't run out - provided it's the System Cache that's taking up the memory :)

I love this little app!

Problem is, Windows handles this very badly, and if the application relies on it the system gets heavy performance hits once it runs out.

It's not system cache that's taking up the memory, it's keeping steady at 500mb while available Physical Memory goes from 400 to 600 in a second once uTorrent is closed or all torrents are stopped.

In the end, the memory usage is directly related to uTorrent, the behaviour can be repeated under any circumstance.

tozz: exactly what i'm talking about - overall memory usage is just not changing that much. utorrent running or not - nothing that much big happens. utorrent takes its 5 or so megabytes and nothing more. come on, i know where to look in task manager and i'm saying you - no problems. the program worked for two days and everything runs just lovely. the amount of physical memory is steady, swapp almost not used... man, this app rocks!

do you guys all have sp2 and latest windows upgrades? maybe somewhere here lies the problem. on pure sp1 (ok, one thing upgraded - windows installer) everything seems to be all right.

Confirmed. I knew there was a reason why Azureus sucked up so much memory. It seems that µTorrent simply hides the exact memory usage in order to look superior. I find it to be an amazing coincidence that Azureus ends up using around 200 megabytes; thought it was too good to be true that µTorrent cut that down 50x.

Start performance monitor, add all of the counters under Process and select the utorrent process... you'll see if any of those counters are huge... let us know what they are.

Nothing to be seen under the utorrent.exe process that adds up the large memory use. But don't conclude now that it's not µTorrent that causes it, because it's the only program that can cause this, since lots of people can confirm it. If it's crappy Windows caching, then µTorrent should work around this, since it's the only program that's got issues with it. While testing I checked 'Connect to peers slower' a couple of times, which turns out to have no desired effect on the memory usage.

tozz: exactly what i'm talking about - overall memory usage is just not changing that much. utorrent running or not - nothing that much big happens. utorrent takes its 5 or so megabytes and nothing more. come on, i know where to look in task manager and i'm saying you - no problems. the program worked for two days and everything runs just lovely. the amount of physical memory is steady, swapp almost not used... man, this app rocks!

do you guys all have sp2 and latest windows upgrades? maybe somewhere here lies the problem. on pure sp1 (ok, one thing upgraded - windows installer) everything seems to be all right.

Have to be sure, it's a quite serious issue.

It's not unlikely this is a isolated SP2 issue.

And all of those who's still checking uTorrent process info, don't, it doesn't say anything useful, we've already concluded that :)

I do, starting up programs, opening up multiple tabs in Firefox, it all takes a lot more time and more harddisk activity then when µTorrent is closed or if I'm running another torrent client, like BitComet.

[edit]

I have to reconsider the previous statement after being able to start up a virtual machine (Virtual PC) that takes up 224MB Ram, while free ram was indicator was only at 88MB. Normally Virtual PC shows an error message when free RAM < 230MB when starting such a virtual machine...

However, with other programs it does seem to take more harddisk activity somehow to start them and work with them.

utorrent3vc.png

Downloading one, seeding another. One is 8 gb, one is 14 mb. All seems fine for me.

The private bytes shown here are probably the "hidden" memory that is leaking. Mine shows about 5 mb but a clean start of utorrent is around ~2MB so it may be growing. There isn't much else that Process Explorer provides.

hmm had the same results on win2k pro. started a torrent with alot of seeds and peers, the physical memory just started to decrease rapidly until it hit rock bottom and then it started to chew on the systemcache. so I stopped the torrent (not closing utorrent), and all the physical memory was instantly returned...

The question is, do you see a performance hit? Because for all we know it's just Windows panicking and screaming when it saw uTorrent consuming too little memory. >_>

Yeah, the hit is there alright, drive performance especially takes a big hit.

More and more people are confirming this so the problem is real.

On the Windows box I use this on, I noticed heavily decreased system performance, but I thought it was just Windows (my Gentoo boxes certainly doesn't do any of that). I am not there to verify right now whether uTorrent is the problem, but that is the only major change I have made recently.

It is still on 1.1.3 though - don't know if this was introduced with 1.1.4 or if it affects that version as well.

Archived