Reducing LAN traffic for completed downloads...

Calab

I currently run uTorrent on a laptop dedicated to uploading/downloading torrents with a dedicated cable internet connection. No other traffic passes on this connection. This is a laptop with a relatively small hard drive. Currently, when a download is finished, it is moved to the network share on another PC. This means that all my seeding traffic is coming across my LAN. I'd really like to stop this if possible.

I browse on my local PC and find a torrent that I want. I then save the torrent to the laptop "watch" directory. uTorrent starts the download. When the download is complete it moves to the shared directory on my LAN. I'd like it to wait until seeding is done before moving the file.

In the uTorrent settings, would it be possible to simply add a checkmare next to the "move when download completed" folder that says "after seeding is done"?

To really be considered part of the torrent community, a download really isn't done until you've seeded it properly.

I've found several thread when I search for "move seeded torrents", but they are all locked, whining about "it's not a file manager", and "use the search feature"... Not a single posting about why this feature does not exist. It can't be a hard feature to add.

Is this possible to do?

I understand what your saying.... Make an option to be able to move 'finished' torrents to another direcotory or NAS as well as 'Completed' ones. This shouldn't be too much of an issue, but I have to ask.....

LAN rates are 10/100/1000 and is cheap bandwidth. Since your moving 'completed' torrents to a NAS/PC, why does it matter to you if your seeding from a NAS/PC? It's really cheap LAN bandwidth anyway.

I have the dedicated PC to keep all the small packets from bouncing across my LAN all the time. I have no problem seeding 10, 20 or more torrents at once. I want to ensure that the torrent traffic is not affecting any of the other traffic on my LAN.

Archived