changing versions from 1.8.2 to 1.6.1

nmroadrunner

Because using 1.6.1 instead of 1.8.2 was recommended from a certain site that I use and trust. I went about trying to figure out how to do this. My pc wouldnt let me delete or overide 1.8.2.

I looked for documentation on how to do this but didnt find it. I finally deleted all torrents, and utorrent completely. Restarted my pc. Then went and downloaded 1.6.1

It did say run, but it never went to setup.

I had also removed the icon from the sys. tray.

Since it didnt say set up or appear to run the program, I wasnt sure what happened.

But I noticed an icon in the tray again.

I went to the certain and began a download. Utorrent picked it up. It is downloading. I can open utorrent from the sys tray.

I cant restore an icon to my desktop, or in the quick launch. When I search my pc, for utorrent it doesnt come up. It comes up with 0 results. I am baffled. It is downloading.

I am using vista. How can I restore the icons to my desktop and quick launch if there isnt an option for doing that?

I have right clicked on the icon in the system tray, there isnt an option for properties.

In the time it took to post this the file that is 1.36G has downloaded. I can open it.

Is there someone that has had this issue and resolved out there?

Perhaps you should reconsider how much trust you give that site then, as they're recommending that their users downgrade to versions of µTorrent with publicly known security vulnerabilities. Please ask the tracker administrators to provide users with a really good explanation as to why they're recommending a vulnerable client. If they decide to cite BS about how the new version is supposedly "owned" by the MAFIAA or snooping on users, they don't get any brownie points either, and it should be further reason for you to question them, considering how they'd simply be admitting that they are unable to filter out unverified FUD from their decision making process.

At any rate, we do not support older versions of µTorrent, including how to find or install them.

Thank you for your response. I would like to have been able to let you know which site I am using.

Now I know I do need a different version again. Recommendations as to which one would be appreciated. But not at the expense of being a pest.

How do I get the icons for utorrent back?

Thank you ever so much for your response.

The latest version is the only version we support, meaning 1.8.5. There is one known bug with the way 1.8.5 build 17091 interacts with HTTPS trackers though (which may or may not be relevant to you -- I don't know), but that should hopefully fixed soonish in the next release.

Regarding icons, the 1.8.5 installer allows you to recreate icons.

About letting us know what site you're using, that isn't the bit of information that's actually important, so it's okay. What needs to be done is that the site's administrators need to give a good explanation as to why they would block newer versions of µTorrent -- you can ask them and relay their reply here if you wish, or you can ask them to come to this thread and provide the explanation directly. If they refuse, then I don't know what else to say.

Will the 1.8.5 write over the 1.6.1? When I went to delete it, the only thing that will come up is this link which takes you to the download of 1.6.1

http://download.utorrent.com/1.8.2/utorrent.exe I know it says 1.8.2 but that isnt what comes up.

Im not sure what to do.

thnak you for your support. I am going to send the thread to the site I use and see if they would like to read the thread and respond.

http://www.utorrent.com/downloads/

You'll find v1.8.5 here.

You can always recreate the icons manually if you want -- just right click the EXE and create shortcut, then copy that shortcut wherever you need it.

If you'd prefer for µTorrent to do it for you... What you need to do is make sure you've exited µTorrent completely (make sure it's not still running in Windows Task Manager -- Ctrl+Shift+Esc). Afterwards, go to

Win+R > %appdata%\uTorrent

and backup settings.dat, then remove settings.dat and settings.dat.old from that directory. Finally, replace the old µTorrent EXE file with the 1.8.5 EXE file, and start it. It *should* ask for you to install (assuming you don't place the settings.dat in the same directory as the EXE either), after which you can select the shortcuts you'd like to create.

Archived