ban/unban after failed hashcheck

moussie

that doesn't work properly ..

probably only noticed it because we're in a 1 on 1 situation .. but the peer didn't get unbanned after 1 hour .. he wasn't even unbanned 8 hours later, had to restart the task to connect again ..

while searching through the options I didn't find a setting anywhere in which this behaviour can be adjusted .. or did I overlook that .. ?

/edit .. forgot to add .. latest version .. beta 420

don't wanna edit yesterday's message .. topic needs to be kicked .. sorry

but yes .. still the same in build 425 .. peer banned due to failed hashchecks at 14:58:43 .. now it's 16:11 and the peer is still banned .. simply restarting the task has no effect, I have to remove the task and add it again to lift the ban

don't wanna edit yesterday's message .. topic needs to be kicked .. sorry

but yes .. still the same in build 425 .. peer banned due to failed hashchecks at 14:58:43 .. now it's 16:11 and the peer is still banned .. simply restarting the task has no effect, I have to remove the task and add it again to lift the ban

If the peer was banned, why do you WANT to unban him?!

it says banned for 1 hour but actually it bans the peer till next start.. that's what he says.. i can't confirm it though

Wasn't this behaviour changed in an updated beta?

I seem to recall a mention of it in the past.

Maybe just a left over text error from the altered algorithm if so?

Seems a good policy anyway. If a peer is banned then why let him back into the torrent so that you waste time on downloading corrupt data from them?!

EDIT: Yes it was.

From the 1.4 changelog:

Change: Don't reconnect to banned peers after 1 hour.

i.e. it's there by design, and rightly so IMHO. :)

The 'bug' is the message string.

uhm .. permanent .. in that case the FAQ should be changed .. still states there that it's for 1 hour .. ;-)

but a thought .. this is very unconvenient when you're 1 on 1 .. which happens quite often on private trackers and when you're last in line for a file .. so an option to enable/disable manually like you have in most other clients would be nice

especially atm it's hell .. with newest azureus, that seems to produce one hash fail after another I keep disconnecting

uhm .. permanent .. in that case the FAQ should be changed .. still states there that it's for 1 hour .. ;-)

but a thought .. this is very unconvenient when you're 1 on 1 .. which happens quite often on private trackers and when you're last in line for a file .. so an option to enable/disable manually like you have in most other clients would be nice

especially atm it's hell .. with newest azureus, that seems to produce one hash fail after another I keep disconnecting

Has your friend looked here?

http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/index.php/Torrents_stop_at_99_percent

It seems a bit unfair to expect uTorrent to be lenient on a client that appears to be sending corrupt data.

Seems uTorrent is doing what it's supposed to here?

You should NOT be getting corrupt data. If you are, then the source of the problem needs to be sorted out.

I haven't noticed any problems here with clients using Azureus 2.4 btw (yet).

hehe .. I was looking at the FAQ here, how on earth should I know that I should have gone through all the changelogs as well, and in the FAQ it says "banned for 1 hour" .. so if more than 1 hour has passed I assume that it's a bug .. that's all

and with this azureus thingie .. that's different than the usual 99,99 % last-piece thing, bad routers or whatever .. it only seems to happen when you upload/re-hash .torrents made with previous azureus torrentmaker ..

anyway, the possibility to adjust manually would be very nice :)

Lexxington what if u ban ur best peer? or the only one? i'll be pleased even if i got 50% noncorrupt data.. sometimes the peer has no fault about that.. it might be ISP problems.. i get a lot of hashfails when downloading torrents from another countries..

Hi,

Well I pointed out a serious weakness in the banning algorithm here:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=6243

It sort of highlights what you just said about possibly banning your best peer.

Mind you, it's a completely different problem from banning peers that really are sending you corrupt data!

If my 'best peer' is sending me corrupt data then as far as I'm concerned he's not my best peer anyway! :)

However, despite all that, I've always found corruption to be minimal in all cases with Bit Torrent so far. It always seems to be a small minority of peers that cause problems.

Again, it should be of no concern of ours WHAT the reason is for the other peers sending you corrupt data! If they're sending you corrupt data then they're a complete waste of space and time. Corrupt data is no good for anyone and they should be BANNED from the swarm.

It's up to THEM to get their sh*t sorted out not you. :)

Feeling sorry for them won't make their data any less corrupt.

If they're the only peer available then I still don't see how it helps you NOT to ban him if all you're getting is corrupted data?

what everybody wants is to get the file/files

if the data is being corrupted that's a waste of time but at least u got something.. even if it is 10% of what's sent to u

for example i am downloading a certain torrent

i got 20 peers yesterday.. and i downloaded at 20-30k

i downloaded 300 mb so far and i'm happy about that (27 hashfails, 22 mb wasted).. the important thing is that i got 300 mb.. now because of these hashfails 9 of my precious 20 peers got banned and now i'm connected to 11 peers.. i'm currently downloading at 2 k because 2 of those peers upload at 1k.. all the others that remain unbanned just stay on the list and do not respond with Waiting more than 500.. the result: i no longer have peers sending corrupt data.. now i've got no peers sending data.. the one that were uploading were killed by the ban system :P

yes sometimes peers should be banned, but sometimes they shouldn't..

what everybody wants is to get the file/files

if the data is being corrupted that's a waste of time but at least u got something.. even if it is 10% of what's sent to u

for example i am downloading a certain torrent

i got 20 peers yesterday.. and i downloaded at 20-30k

i downloaded 300 mb so far and i'm happy about that (27 hashfails, 22 mb wasted).. the important thing is that i got 300 mb.. now because of these hashfails 9 of my precious 20 peers got banned and now i'm connected to 11 peers.. i'm currently downloading at 2 k because 2 of those peers upload at 1k.. all the others that remain unbanned just stay on the list and do not respond with Waiting more than 500.. the result: i no longer have peers sending corrupt data.. now i've got no peers sending data.. the one that were uploading were killed by the ban system :P

yes sometimes peers should be banned, but sometimes they shouldn't..

Ok, I understand.

First of all I assume you're using uTorrent?

If so, then if you read my other post this could well account for some genuine peers being banned along with some of the real corruptors because of the faulty banning algorithm!

Because you got 300 Mb so far, and after the bans you get next to nothing, this seems to be the case!

Remember, you won't get ANY complete pieces from people sending you corrupt 16 Kb blocks that are PART of those pieces.

What is the piece size?

Can you send me a link to the torrent you're d/ling from?

I'd like to investigate it further assuming it's not a private torrent?

ofc i'm using utorrent :P the piece size is 512k.. since i restarted the program i got 6 hashfails and 1 peer was banned. 3-4 mb of wasted data but by my calculations i got at least 30 mb since i restarted utorrent.. let's wait for ludde to rework the ban system and we'll see :) then the options i offered above may be implemented.. then i might consider turning off that option.. i don't think that peers are the problem, but my ISP when downloading from peers in other countries

ofc i'm using utorrent :P the piece size is 512k.. since i restarted the program i got 6 hashfails and 1 peer was banned. 3-4 mb of wasted data but by my calculations i got at least 30 mb since i restarted utorrent.. let's wait for ludde to rework the ban system and we'll see :) then the options i offered above may be implemented.. then i might consider turning off that option.. i don't think that peers are the problem, but my ISP when downloading from peers in other countries

As peers are your only source of data, why do you blame it on your ISP?!

If you PM me the link to the torrent I can give you an independent assessment (hopefully).

At the very least we can resolve, or perhaps confirm/deny, that the banning algorithm isn't as effective as it's supposed to be?

If you don't want any help or want to believe in fairy tales then that's cool too. :)

P.S.

Are you using Peer Guardian 2 or similar updated with the latest p2p lists?

That ALONE may very well affect the balance considerably.

i blame it on the ISP because i have such problems with every tracker, torrent outside my country..

i can't give u the exact link to the torrent because i have problems accessing the Demonoid page right now

but it's a "Jay Leno 2.9.06" show

i'm connected to 26 peers and i download at 2-7k..

EDIT: i'm not using anything to prevent peers from connecting to me.. :) everyone is invited :P

Archived