uTorrent does not download

oao

I've been downloading without problems for quite a while.

However, I've run into a problem without obvious reasons: when I Start any download the status icon on left of file turns red and nothing happens and at the bottom I see DHT disabled.

Any idea why?

Same here!

I've tried looking around this forum as well as others, and it seems like perhaps the recent update is what is causing the trouble. I just downgraded, and right away one torrent began downloading like normal, but the the rest won't start and the bar goes red... I've used utorrent for well over a year, and never had any problems until I decided to upgrade. My ports are forwarded and everything seems to be fine, and the particular torrent I'm trying to downloaded has hundreds of seeds.

The only thing that seems to work, as flimsy as this sounds, is shutting down utorrent, and then opening it again. This will only work for one torrent at a time though...

I sort of thought this might be the reason. However, if I recall correctly even the

previous version had the problem.

Closing and reopening does not seem to work in my case.

I will try to find an older version and see if it makes any difference.

If it's a sudden change, it could be a software firewall thinking uTorrent's "infected" due to a recent update...or ISP turned hostile.

Or it can be connection creep -- where you have progressively more connections from all your active torrents and even recently stopped torrents (people still trying to connect to you for them).

Bad uTorrent settings can make any of this a *LOT* worse.

I think I found the problem.

Are the .DAT file forward compatible?

It looks like if I use earlier .DAT files (which was possible until now), the previous settings and loaded torrents are recognized, but there is no downloading.

I must manually replicate the old settings to the old ones and then there is downloading.

if I am right, this is a pain. the .DAT files should have been compatible. if they needed to change, then the upgrade should have made the changes. at the very least, users should have been notified.

one more thing: one of the torrents is being downloaded with the arrow icon still being red. what does that mean?

well, there is something wrong somewhere, because only when I replicate the old settings manually there is downloading. if I just copy the DAT files from the old installation, there is no downloading.

I read the help expl of the red icons: do I understand it correctly that if there is downloading at good speed I should ignore it?

Your old DAT settings files may be corrupted, which is something different than a compatibility error.

Either that, or like I said you had a bad settings combination that simply didn't work correctly.

Without knowing your settings, I cannot even guess which is true...

Your Speed Guide CTRL+G settings + what settings in advanced have been changed (have an * next to them) should be enough.

I don't think corruption is the problem as those files worked before the upgrade and don't after and I have not touched them. besides, they were recognized, including the incomplete downloads.

Should pressing Ctrl+G get me settings? If so it does not.

All I've done with new settings is replicate the old ones, including only just one in advanced:

net.max_halfopen: *80

Incidentally one download has been red from beginning to end.

And Microsoft repatches the file that controls windows half open limit only rarely...so did you do a windows update recently?

The 6 settings listed in Speed Guide (CTRL+G) should be sufficient.

upload speed limit,

upload slots per torrent,

global connection max,

per torrent connection max,

max active torrents,

max downloading torrents.

Are you running uTorrent v1.8.5, v2.0 beta, or v2.1 alpha?

I might have applied some MS updates. But as I said, I had the same problem whether I changed that setting or not.

upload speed limit: 10

upload slots per torrent: 34

global connection max: 2329

per torrent connection max: 1890

max active torrents: 60

max downloading torrents: 63

Look, not all of us have the necessary time or knowledge to assess which guide/setting/source is kosher. We collect various info from various sources and we try it and see what happens. Whether they are retarded or not, they have worked for quite a while and quite well.

What I have reported here is a problem which has come up suddenly without me making any changes. It seems it had to do with program upgrades and settings files and not with the settings themselves -- the program would not download when previously it did.

I will go over the guides you linked to and reset per them and see what happens.

Yes, in thatparticular case you may be right. Except that even there, the connection speed is given in Kb/s while the settings must be specified in not the same units and not all of us know the difference.

The other settings -- one must have a great deal of knowledge assessing claims about them.

Anyway, with these retarded settings I get downloads of 100 which is not too bad. I will revert all of them to defaults and see what happens

I get test results in Kb/s. I ran 2 tests:

flash: 1824/419

java: 1573/482

Today I get:

flash: 2011/421

java: 2283/423

OK, I reinstalled uTorrent and configured it for upload of 384.

Now the settings look like this:

upload speed limit: 35

upload slots per torrent: 4

global connection max: 230

max active torrents: 80

max downloading torrents: 0

These were set by the upload selection of 384 in Speed Guide. Is this OK?

BTW, downloads seem to be OK but for all of them the icon gets red after a while and stays red until it completes. I see nothing in the tab that describes the resaon.

Two other questions:

1. The latest version to download is 1.8.5. But I've seen version 1.9 elsewhere -- is there such an animal?

2. Do you have an opinion on these:

http://www.trafficspeeders.com/index.php/products-mainmenu-35/utorrent-ultra-accelerator.html

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22141654-Evading-throttling-with-uTP-uTorrent-19a

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

global connection max: 230

Per torrent connection max should NEVER be greater than global max connections!

max active torrents: 80

max downloading torrents: 0

Doesn't match my 384 kilobit/second upload settings at all. :P

Max active torrents really shouldn't be over 4 for such low TOTAL upload bandwidth.

And you probably should set max downloading torrents to at least 1 but less than (or equal to) max active torrents.

Hi all ,.

I am using utorrent ( just strtd ) . I start the application and download the torrent . after that when it gets queued in the downloads list , i see

0(0) seeders and 0(1) leechers . ( me ofcourse )

DHT=0 nodes (login)

In the tracker section , it says ... "hostname not found " or "invalid url"

-- i used piratebay torrents

-- i am trying to connect utorrent through VidaliaBundle as my college proxy blocks utorrent .

-- PLEASE HELP ...

Archived