Magnet DL Manual Directory Assignment?

jeffool

I don't think we wanna show the add torrent dialog later. It'd be unexpected and could take a very long time. I mean, you could add it, then 10 minutes later the dialog suddenly pops up. It just seems weird.

Try something like a dialog after magnet is get asking"when metadata is got, show up add new torrent dialog?". If clicked yes, when ut downloads the torrent file, it will show that add new torrent window and wait for user feedback.

If clicked no, then it should open the new window (you'll make in 2.2) to ask where to download the torrent. And if you understood me, it would also be useful to make a preference for default action in the preferences window(and a checkbox on the asking dialog: "Always do this"). This is my best attempt at suggesting a useful idea. Let me know if you don't understand or don't agree with what said.

EDIT: And the said asking dialog should also let the user know that choosing "no" will not let him to pick some files, and other actions due to the nature of dht. And when choosing yes you will need to wait some minutes until the add new torrent window shows.

EDIT2: And what I said, when clicked yes, the download bar should write "Waiting for meta information to start the download"

I'm quoting nilsmaa from the idea bank:

Just got a mail that my idea had eventually been accepted, thanks a lot. I consider the algoritm must work in the following order.

1. The user who wants to get only several of all the files of a torrent clicks on a magnet link.

2. uTorrent creates a small remind icon (which, after clicking, maximizes in a window where are unfrozen field "Save as" and, because of still lacking metadata, frozen field "Torrent contents") in the status bar, for example, on the left of the inscription "DHT: xxx nodes", with a symbol of waiting for metadata, and downloads the metadata.

3. After receiving the metadata, uTorrent changes the symbol of the icon (which, after clicking, maximizes in a window where are, because of already started downloading, frozen field "Save as" and unfrozen field "Torrent contents") to a symbol of readiness and begins downoading (about which I may be wrong, perhaps it would be better, in uTorrent's settings, to give the user a choice whether uTorrent must DL the whole torrent right away, or must wait until the user clicks this icon and makes his selection) the whole torrent to a default directory.

4. While downloading, if the user clicks the icon and selects files to download, then uTorrent removes unselected files from hdd.

If devs took into account this post, it would be truly amazing.

To make it easy to understand, I prepared a few screenshots with explanations.

Step 1

16141609.th.jpg

Step 2

87864872.th.jpg

31688592.th.jpg

where

"C:\Documents and Settings\windoze man\Desktop" is the default folder to download.

Step 3

14115240.th.jpg

92303729.th.jpg

And besides

37609739.th.jpg

If there were not any user's actions in appeared dialogs, or he did nothing at all, uTorrent should merely silently download whole torrent to the default folder. And, of course, there are not any ticks like "Enable DHT", for magnet links mean DHT using by default.

Wow nilsmaa! Thanks for being creative! May I add/change things to make it perfect:

Here is the order how exactly this should be done:

1 - Magnet link is gotten (doesn't matter if through web browser or "add torrent from url"

2 - A nice icon somehow related to magnet(skinnable) appears where shown in the pic.

3 - A bubble text pointing to the said icon tells you that you need to wait some minutes

4 - The torrent appears in the torrent list and the download bar tells you something like "waiting"

5 - You can right click on the torrent, but obviously, some features need to be grayed out!(like start)

6 - You can delete the torrent (example: dead torrent) the same way as a normal torrent(icon disappears)

7 - If success, another text bubble tells you to click on that icon to open the torrent and changes icon

8 - It gives you the same add new torrent dialog. When you press ok, the said icon disappears and the download starts as normal.

Additional info:

- Devs: plz make sure that the information bubbles can always be seen even if the user places the window outside of the monitor.(My idea: main window changes position when bubble can't be fully seen)

- Devs: If utorrent is minimized, then the bubble is pointing to the taskbar icon, and it should write something like:"[torrentname] is ready for download. Click here to start the download", and if clicked, it does number 8

I don't like the 'clock' icon in the left corner, I think the icon relative to torrent job status should be placed on the same line on the current torrent job. It's not a general info like the network icon or something like that.

Maybe a blue clock to indicate the metadata are downloading is better then the blue arrow as usual.

• 4 weeks later...

In the newest uTorrent 2.2 Beta (Build 21882) is implemented support for magnet links which were added via magnet link as URL from web browser, but I'm still missing support for magnet links which will be add via "File -> Add torrent from URL". I hope, that this will be implement in nearest future. For now BIG THX.

• 3 weeks later...
In the newest uTorrent 2.2 Beta (Build 21882) is implemented support for magnet links which were added via magnet link as URL from web browser, but I'm still missing support for magnet links which will be add via "File -> Add torrent from URL". I hope, that this will be implement in nearest future. For now BIG THX.

This should be fixed in the next build we release.

Archived