Re-Install utorrent files after I messed up FIX

Stealth1955

I recently changed over to utorrent from bittorent, and Im happy. Now here is my problem. I had the utorrent.exe file in an area where I accidently used it to start utorrent.....Now Ive put it in a different area and I wont be re-installing utorrent. But when I hit the button, it re-installed utorrent and now all the things I have stored have the red x thing, and cant be seen.

Ive read the helpme files, the FAQ files, and tried doing a search for utorrent for dummies, and have spent hours messing around. I downloaded the ENencode thing and cant get that to work, and Im just lost.

Lets say I have 8 files in the saveme area.....All are complete except one, so no .dat for that one.

I am running win 7 64 bit

%AppData%\uTorrent and all this crap in the instructions doesnt do much for me, and Im not understanding all this.

AHHHHHHHHHHH, I just tried something....I went in and said: Delete Torrent, then yes. Then I went to the green torrent saved small file, and hit download.....NOW the checking started and it found 7 of the 8 files and started at 99% and now they are all back on my system and other people can now download them. Why couldnt I find something telling me to do this???????? I found it on my own and it was darn simple (not that I know what i did)

I wont be needing help I guess.....but after hours of messing around, I hope this can help others.

Sorry im such a noob at this, but its like a car, I can drive it, but dont ask me to re-build the transmission.

Laters/Mike

Hi DreadWinKnight, I read everything I could get my hands on.....I just could not understand it.

Ive been an electrician for 28 years and have worked on Nuke plants and every conceivable type of construction you can think of.....and I put the parts of my own computers together, but I just dont get how to "%AppData%\uTorrent" and things like that.

The migration guide and everything else is not written in a way that I totally understand it, and I did read everything...I mentioned that in my post, so I dont know why you came back with

"All in all, that's what the migration guide we have in our documentation section covers your scenario.I guess you didn't even look at that." Its very frustrating to try to do things when you dont know exactly whats going on, and reading the material didnt help me at all. When I mentioned looking for "utorrent for Dummies" I wasnt kidding.

Thanks for your help and understanding

µTorrent Support > Documentation

Migrating Your Files to µTorrent

Now that you've moved on to the best BitTorrent client around, you might have some torrents from your previous clients that you want to resume in µTorrent. Some of these files you just want to seed, others have not finished downloading yet. While there is no automated way to do this, the procedure is not as daunting as you might expect.

"But what about my share ratio?" Sorry, there is nothing we can do about that, you will be starting back at zero. Share ratio with trackers however will not be affected.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: Unlike traditional file sharing programs, the BitTorrent protocol uses a reference file known as the torrent (whatever_the_subject.torrent). The torrent is what you originally download from the indexing site. The torrent is separate from the content you will ultimately be using/viewing/listening to. From here on, "files" will refer to the content while ".torrent" refers to the reference file.

Renaming appended files

Some clients will append partially downloaded files with an extra extension in order to lock them and keep them from being accidentally accessed by other applications, which might cause some problems with the downloading process (µTorrent also does this, if requested, by appending the extension .!ut to its files).

For µTorrent to resume those partially downloaded files these extra extensions must be removed. This can be tedious but there is nothing to it. We can however make a small batch file that will simplify the job.

1. Open Notepad and write this line into it (replace "bc!" with which ever file extension you need to remove):

@for /r %i in (*.bc!) do @move "%~fi" "%~dpni"

2. In Notepad, File > Save As: RENAME.BAT

3. Open the location folder for the partially downloaded files you need to rename.

4. Drag and drop the RENAME.BAT file into this folder

5. Right click on RENAME.BAT > Open; a DOS window will briefly appear as it scrolls through all the files in the folder as they are getting renamed.

Repeat from step 3 for each folder containing files that need renaming.

Loading torrents in µTorrent

Loading a single torrent for seeding is simple enough provided you know the location of the .torrent and the files.

1. In µTorrent, click File > Add Torrent (no default save)

2. Browse your way to the .torrent file you wish to seed and select.

3. Browse your way to the folder where the files are located and select the folder.

The torrent should appear in the torrent window and load (you will see the % climb up as µTorrent checks the file).

Loading multiple torrents stored in a single folder.

Let's say in your previous client you had setup a "completed torrents" folders and you wish to reload all the torrents from this location into µTorrent.

1. Create a folder called AUTOLOAD on your desktop

2. Create a folder called TORRENTS somewhere where you wish your finished torrents to be relocated (for example c:\My Documents\My Torrents\).

3. Go to Options > Preferences > Downloads : location of downloaded files: check "Put new downloads in:" and point the path to the folder you were using to save your completed torrents in with your previous client.

4. Go to Options > Preferences > Others. Under Storage for torrent files: Check "Move .torrents for finished jobs to: " and point the path to the TORRENTS folder (never mind the "Save the .torrent files" option for now).

5. Under Auto-load Torrents, check "Automatically load torrents in directory" and point the path to the AUTOLOAD folder on your desktop.

6. Find the .torrent for the files you wish to load (which match the files in your completed folder), and move them (not copy) to the AUTOLOAD folder on your desktop.

µTorrent automatically loads the .torrents from the AUTOLOAD folder into the torrent list. µTorrent will find that the matching files are already in the download folder and will check them to make sure they are complete.

Note: this procedure is also valid for partially downloaded files.

Moving files to another location after they have been loaded in µTorrent

For sorting reasons you may wish for your newly reloaded files to be saved to a different location. This is easy enough but must be done a single torrent at a time.

1. Stop the torrent you wish to move in the torrent list in µTorrent.

2. Move the files to the location of your choice (for multiple files move the containing folder as a whole)

3. In µTorrent, right click > Advanced > Set Download Location ...

4. Browse to the location where you have moved the files.

5. Start the torrent again.

*****************************************************************************************************************

I tried my best to do the above and got totally lost. By total accident and just fooling around, I fixed my problem. I had a bunch of downloaded files that now had all red X's next to them and they were marked with a cant find the torrent line. I right clicked on each of the torrents one at a time and scrolled down to remove and delete torrent. Then I went to the add torrent area and clicked on each of the green torrent files (the ones you originally downloaded from a site to get the torrent you want) and then when it started downloading the torrents again, it was only 2% or so that had to be re-downloaded. (must have just been all the info for the location of the file and

peers and trackers, heck...I dont know), The Files that use to be red and no good, were now green and I was able to seed again, to share with others.

What I did, sounds a heck of a lot different to me, then what the above manual said to do. I was not able to perform the task I wanted to using the above file. I hope by writting this it will help others who couldnt find the "Utorrent for Dummies" manual that I was hoping for.

Good Luck!

22. What is %AppData%?

%AppData% is a system variable that works on every Windows OS.

To use it, you can either type %AppData%\uTorrent into the Address Bar, or click Start -> Run, and type it there.

I read everything above and below, coudnt figure it out.

You said at 19:38:14 to not make a new thread......It had a new title, and it was meant to be found by people having the same problem I was. Anyway, the only way I could even find my old question, was to go to my profile, and then click on comments, or something like that, I couldnt find my "Re-Install utorrent files after I messed up FIX" that I posted yesterday.

Im not trying to be a trouble maker or a pain in your butt, but I am having a hard time understanding things, and If I could help others with my same problem, thats what I wanted to do.

My problems for now are solved, so I should not be writting any more posts for a long time. I thank you for your time and effort in helping others.

Archived