uTorrent just not working anymore

LazyD

Since about a month ago utorrent just isnt working. I've got my port forwarded fine, it was all fine then overnight it all just stopped. I uninstalled everything, ran cleaners, reg cleaners, got rid of all the dht files and stuff, started again, nothing, still won't work.

I've had it when it gets a figure for dht but still wouldnt download/upload anything. Now I think it always just says "DHT: Waiting to log in". I've tried changing ports to all different ones and forcing and enabliong encryption in case my ISP is doing something funny, still nothing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

EDIT: I just been watching it for a little while, right now I've got 17 nodes and every now and then I might get about 0.4k downloads for a few seconds and then back to nothing. Incase that info helps.

The most recent info you posted there is from 2007, most from 2006, zone alarm is a very different experience from how it was then. I used to hate, hate, hate zonealarm, but there have been many version upgrades since those days, it's different now. It's not my ideal firewall product but since sygate is no longer around I find it does the job well for a free and it bothers you far far less than alternative free products like kerio. If you haven't used it in a number of years I would suggest that you check out what it's like now, it's way better than it used to be. Also, friends systems use zonealarm free with avg and utorrent and they don't have an issue, not sure what isp they are on though.

My os's are xp and windows 7, haven't checked this on the windows 7 box recently so I will tonight and post back about that.

I was suspecting that it was an issue with talktalk.

Hmm, yeah, I dunno about that. The only free ones there that I haven't tried are PC Tools Firewall Plus and Netchina (is Netchina a firewall?), so I'll give PC Tools a go. Didn't like Outpost or Comodo although I realise they do their job very well, just too much hassle to the end user, especially on boxes that are used by multiple users. Couldn't get file and print sharing to work with Armor Firewall no matter what I tried. This is what I mean about zonealarm doing it's job ok and not bothering me/other users. I think that part of the reason why zonealarm free scored so lowly is that it didn't protect against some techniques that others did when often a system needs to be partly compromised in the first place in order for these techniques to work (malwared) but I'm no expert on these matters. I say that because I have used spyware blaster for a few years and used to use sygate and then zonealarm free when I saw it was getting better, I don't run real time av protection I just start it when I need to scan a download, I don't install the link scanner with avg (too much bs). All I do is keep spyware blaster up to date and my browsers and os updates up to date and I've literally not had one tiny problem with malware at all for years. I have had av find things in files before I've executed them but once removed this has never been a problem. Oh, I think a big part of having no problems like this is checking what I install first that it doesn't contain spyware and not installing horrible things like limewire.

Archived