File ordering (programfiles, appdata)

emc

Hello,

is it possible to change file ordering? Current situation is too bad. I want to install 1 times as administrator. But now every user have to download additional files as webui, lang, etc...

utorrent.exe

utorrent.chm

utorrent.lng

webui.zip

dht.dat

dht.dat.old

ipfilter.dat

resume.dat

resume.dat.old

rss.dat

rss.dat.old

settings.dat

settings.dat.old

tabs.bmp

toolbar.bmp

I think you understand me what I ask for. Please write me here your position.

Makes some sense to me.

I still think µTorrent should continue to default to downloading those files (utorrent.chm, utorrent.lng, webui.zip) to %appdata%\uTorrent if they don't already exist in the same directory as utorrent.exe. The only time it should use the executable directory to store those files is if they already exist there (they were manually placed there by the user). Rationale? Some users might not care about multi-user environments, and may not want the executable directory being cluttered up with "accessory" files.

Ultima,

explore your Program Files. Do you know Firefox, PowerDVD, Office, Nero, ...

All of they use PF for common files. I do not think uT is anything else.

All data files and skin are user files. They can be deleted everytime (solving problems).

WebUI is not user data. Help and language files neither.

It is nonsense to download x times for every users on PC.

It is nonsense to install uTorrent in every user profile separetely.

Please think about it. Look into PF how have it other programs.

Try delete Firefox appdata. You do not need to download enything again. All necessary files are kept in PF.

I am not stupid newbie. I use and support uTorrent since Oct-2005 (I think from 1.1.7.2)...

Firefox extensions aren't stored in Program Files. It's stored in the user's profile. The WebUI can be customized and updated independently of the client, so it shouldn't be in PF. It IS userdata. Same for the skins. The language pack you could make a case for, but it's not really worth special-casing the location for it (plus again, it can and often is updated independently of the client, so it'd require the computer's admin to update it).

I am not stupid newbie. I use and support uTorrent since Oct-2005 (I think from 1.1.7.2)...

I fail to see how that is at all relevant to anything I said. You asked for opinions, I gave mine. You disagree with what I say, so you get defensive? I'm not understanding. Heck, I wasn't even completely disagreeing with your logic -- I was just offering a solution to a point of contention that other users could just as easily have raised.

It is nonsense to download x times for every users on PC.

And? I'm guessing you didn't actually read my suggestion, because given my suggestion, if you wanted it to download once, you could've placed those files in that directory yourself and be done with it. Why should µTorrent always download files to the executable's directory? What if people keep the executable outside of %programfiles%, and somewhere of their own choosing? Is µTorrent supposed to forcefully clutter that directory too?

But whatever, seeing as how it's pretty much rejected, it's all irrelevant.

@Firon: Those are definitely good points.

The only time it should use the executable directory to store those files is if they already exist there (they were manually placed there by the user).

No. No. uTorrent tries to move .lng into appdata. If UAC is active it fails. All other files ignores. Help file nor webui from here uTorrent does not use. This way does not work. uTorrent use all file from here only if settings.dat file is present here too. But in this case all users will use the same setting and torrents...

This reason I wrote that I am not newbie is I know how are the files placed to uTorrent correctly works.

I long time tested instalations in WXP and W7 in admin account and user account. There are lots of problems and it is a reason why I asked for standard (in other sotware) solution. Your priority is PF should has only .exe .

Keep it as is...

I created my own solution. It is nonstandard, but fully functional. And admin rights are not required. SFX archive will extract all files (.exe too) into appdata\utorrent and create shortcut to here. But if PC has 5 users all 5 users have to run SFX to install uTorrent under their user account.

If will uTorrent use all basic files (described in 1st post) in PF it be enough only one installation process by admin to PF. If any user will run in the future uTorrent executable, the only its private user setting of uTorrent will be created under its appdata. No complication and fully functional also under limited user account with UAC.

Firon,

No, I didn't know it till this time. icon_redface.gif

I have just translated 2.0 and 2.1. But I haven't tested yet all of the the new features.

I am testing all new version as portable w/o installation - settings.dat in the same place as executable.

I will try it tomorow. I am curious whether and how it works.

Firon,

I couldn't go to sleep (local time 23:40) without I tested it.

I tried 17341 and also 17350, but there is no the choice you described.

1st window "Welcome"

2nd window "Warning"

3rd window "License Agreement"

4th window "Where to install", there is no multi users choise.

directory.th.png

5th window "Configuration" with firewall exception and run start when Win starts up

If I finished whole installation process but I don't see any difference.

I switched to limited user account.

Shorcuts are there. I opened uTorrent.

Window ask me for choose my language. I confirmed Czech.

It started downloading and after it finished uTorrent has been opened.

But only in English. In prefferencies there was not Czech language option.

I clicked at Down translation, uT was restarted and reopened in Czech language.

My idea / suggestion:

If uTorrent will found utorrent.chm next to the utorrent.exe it will use it, if not it will use utorrent.chm from appdata or will download it.

If uTorrent will found webui.zip next to the utorrent.exe it will use it, if not it will use webui.zip from appdata or will download it.

If uTorrent will found utorrent.lng next to the utorrent.exe it will use it (but won't move it to appdata), if not it will use utorrent.lng from appdata or will download it.

If uTorrent will found settings.dat next to the utorrent.exe it will use directory where is .exe instead of appdata (current situation)

My idea / suggestion:

If uTorrent will found utorrent.chm next to the utorrent.exe it will use it, if not it will use utorrent.chm from appdata or will download it.

If uTorrent will found webui.zip next to the utorrent.exe it will use it, if not it will use webui.zip from appdata or will download it.

If uTorrent will found utorrent.lng next to the utorrent.exe it will use it (but won't move it to appdata), if not it will use utorrent.lng from appdata or will download it.

If uTorrent will found settings.dat next to the utorrent.exe it won't use directory where is .exe instead of appdata (current situation)

Um. That's exactly what I already suggested in my very first reply.

Ultima,

I must apologize to you. I badly understand what you wrote about. x_headbang.gif

I thinked you described current situation and I was confused you wrote nonsenses...

I am sorry for my bad English and for my defensive stance.

I read it twice again and I saw what I did not see before...

Archived