UTorrent claims Nvidia Network Access Manager needs to be updated

stresser

on startup of utorrent 1.8.5 (haven't run old versions on this computer, just installed win xp pro)

I get the following message

uTorrent

You appear to be running version 67.96 of NVIDIA Network Access Managment tool.

This version has known issues may create problems with uTorrent

Please upgrade your NVIDIA software to at least version 73.12

now I've run the NVIDIA updater program and it can't find any updates, I can't find any reference to 73.12 except someone else getting the same message from uTorrent, and the obvious download pages pretending to have what you are searching for then giving a list of search hits based on what you searched in google for.

I don't believe there is an update 73.12

so whats the deal?

when I run that program the Driver installer comes back with

NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware, Setup will now exit.

I'm not sure what those display drivers have to do with the network access management controller drivers.... the link on that page that brings you to the control pannel software brings me to the generic nvidia drivers page.

when I follow the links through that page to the proper product I end up with the version of the control pannel I have and the updater doesn't think there is anything beyond what I already have.

could I have hardware that they no longer support?

Honestly if you don't need the management tool of Nvidia (Forceware), you should remove it completely instead of trying to update it. It includes a buggy firewall and it's not really necessary.

If you need info about your Nvidia card, you can use CPU-Z: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Very useful freeware to gather info on the main devices of your computer.

• 2 weeks later...

The drivers are referring to the nForce chipset drivers (your motherboard drivers). You need to update those.

And this message exists because NVIDIA and the uTorrent team worked together to fix the problems with the NVIDIA firewall. Old versions are very, very broken.

I uninstalled the network access manager...

Nvidia does not support my hardware with the newer versions or at least I can't find them, and the updater does not find anything.

this is on an HP Pavillion dv2310ca laptop, using drivers for a dv2310us laptop ( I think the last two are country designation)

cheers

Archived