uTorrent slows down browser

gfrankel

I've been searching this forum and following the posts for the last 3 weeks, tweaked my setting accordingly, but it's still not working for me, so I'm turning to you guys for help.

Here are my vitals:

Intel Celeron 1.7, 768 RAM

XP Pro SP2

uTorrent 1.41 BETA (Build 424)

Zone Alarm 6.0.631.003

Spy Sweeper 4.53. (Build 560)

(other prog. running: Maxthon Browser, WaetherBug, ATIevxx)

Optonline cable modem, 10mb down, up ?

Speed test:

Download Speed: 6994 kbps (874.3 KB/sec transfer rate), I get at times 9500+

Upload Speed: 135 kbps (16.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

verified Disk set to DMA

patched TCPIP.sys (all open)

used TCP/IP Optimizer

uTorrent settings: (what I've tried in these 3 weeks)

Port: 56930

uPnP mapping: enabled (tried not enabled as well)

Add to win firewall exception: enabled, (even though I disabled win firewall)

Global max. upload: 30KB/s (tried 0-20 as well)

max download: 0

Encryption: Outgoing: disabled (left as default)

Allow incoming legacy connections: enabled

Global max # connections: 800

Max. # connected peer per torrent: 125-200 (depending on many ppl. I connected to on the torrent)

# upload slots: 4-10 (depending on many ppl. I connected to on the torrent)

Max # active: 5-10

DHT, Scraping, Peer exchange: enabled (tried not enabled as well)

Advanced:

gui.compat_diropen: false

net.bind_ip:

net.Outgoing_ip

net.low_cpu: false

net.max_halfopen: *64 (tried variations of 8-50)

iplifter.enable: true

dht.rate: -1

webui.pass:

queue.dont_count_slow_dl: true

queue.dont_count_slow_ul: true

queue.prio_no_seeds: true

bit.scrape_stopped: false

bt.compact_alocation: false

bt.enable_tracker: false

bt.multiscrape: true

bt.send_have_to_seed: true

bt.set_socklbuf: false

bt.connect_speed: 20

bt.prio_first_last_piece: false

bt.convert_to_fast_pct: 66

peer.lazy_bitfield: *true (tried with false as well)

peer.resolve_country: false

peer.disconnect_inactive: true

peer.disconnect_inactive_interval: *600 (tried 300 as well)

diskio.flush_files: true

diskio.sparse_files: false

diskio.write_queue_size: -1

diskio.use_partfile: true

diskio.coalesce_wrires: false

diskio.read_cache_size: 0

My story:

I switched from ABC (when their updated ver. froze my downloads). uTorrent was great for the first week or so, I was able to download and browse at the same time without any problems

The slowdown began afterwards, now when I am running uTorent my browser (IE/Maxthon) slows to a crawl, even though it takes Mem Usage only 4-9k. When I pause it, the browser goes back to normal. Although it is paused I am still downloading and uploading at a few k, it never comes to a complete stop.

(I don't know if this is related or not: I posted in another post that at the same time I developed speed problems with uTorrent (not the browser), it's downloading extremely slow, compared to what it used to.)

Help me out please!

I'm not. This is a diffrent issue, not the speed issue. I mention it at the end in case it's related.

There are two issues here:

1) The one mentioned here: where my browser is slow when uTorrent is on, and I believe this is the right area for this issue

2) Speed issue: That I posted in the speed section, and mentioned here in (), in short, in passing, just in case there is some relation.

1.) I'm almost 100% sure that Weatherbug is a spy/adware program... :|

2.) The Motorola SurfBoard modems are notorious around here for their unreliability/unpredictability. Is the firmware up-to-date?

3.) Have you turned off DHT to see if there's any difference?

1.) I'm almost 100% sure that Weatherbug is a spy/adware program... :|

I use many spyware programs and it has been fine for me for over a year now.

2.) The Motorola SurfBoard modems are notorious around here for their unreliability/unpredictability. Is the firmware up-to-date?

I'll see if I could get a new one. I've never had problems in the last 2 1/2 years, it just started in the last 3 weeks, so I don't think it's the modem.

3.) Have you turned off DHT to see if there's any difference?

Yes, no difference.

Could you please check my speed issue in the speed area. I read and followed your guide?

I use many spyware programs and it has been fine for me for over a year now. ...

Well in that case there is nothing else we can do for you. :/ You need to get rid of all junk software on your PC before we can continue diagnosing your problem, otherwise it's just a waste of time. Having said that, this is a very, very bizarre issue you have here...I'm at a loss for an explanation. The only thing I can think of is virus/spyware-related. :(

what did u set ur patched TCPIP.sys to? I believe if the setting is too high u could get browser slowdown based on how many connection try to come in. I normally set net.max_halfopen to half or a lil less than half of what my patched TCPIP.sys is.

And try these:

capping ur max download to 600-700k.

Try setting global max connections to 400.

set #upload slots to 3-4.

Did u install any software within the last 2-3 weeks? And Ic3 is right, weatherbug was/is classified as "spyware" (quote, unquote. The company had to defend itself recently. If im not mistaken, the problem had something to do with how it was delivering the forecasts to users. Some anti-spyware folks said it was tracking users. I mean it has to be specific, tho. Why would I want a forecast for CA when I live in DC?)

And it used to be associated with Gator, a major adware/spyware application. One of the first I knowingly used back in the day until I became more security conscience

Archived