uTorrent basically stopped working

XanderKage

SO, everything started yesterday. Before that, it worked like a charm - no probems what-so-ever. None.

Anyways, yesterday, I started to download a new file and the download just doesn't begin - it just sits there.... I had one file already dowloading - and that one finished fine. But ALL the new files I download - they just don't start. Including files I have downloaded before with no problems. I haven't changed ANY settings to cause something like that, I updated the program (from 1.8.4 to 1.8.5), I tried to change the port (both the new one and the old one were forwarded properly) - nothing. Any help, please?

Also, I tried to completely uninstall uTorrent and reonstall the latest version (1.8.5 stable) - nothing.

The same thing began yesterday evening (I've seen that before 1 or 2 times, but it cured for itself)!

in the morning i successfully downloaded and seeded new torrents, but at some moment uTorrent stopped to even try to make any connections to the internet, i.e. uTorrent displays "Updating..." infinitely in the "Tracker status" even if I disable all windows internet connections (even LAN connection). It doesn't show any error messages (Network unreachable, timeout or something like that).

If use NETSTAT or TCPVIEW it's seen then uTorrent doesn't try to make any connection at all, while other programs work well.

Also the picture in the status bar about connection is not shown (nor red, yellow or green), uPNP doesn't try to work (port forwarding test also fails).

uTorrent 1.6.474 / Win XP Home SP2

I have the same problem. The trackers seem to update ok, and i'm seeding torrents ok, but the download just does not start. the seeds/peers are visible on new torrents but it just can't connect to any so i'm left with an ominous big red bar where it should be the glorious rainbow of blue :'(

I'm don't know what openoffice or slackware is, I'll google it now. But the problem persist with ALL torrents - different site, different seeder/leecher ratio and more importantly - torrents I downloaded before with no problems (and not that long ago, they still have more then enough seeds).

EDIT - Um, ok, I found slackware - it's just a prog that I can download with torrents, nothing to do with uTorrent itself, right? Well, I started downloading a couple of parts there, and it is exactly the same as all the other torrents - the download just doesn't start.

I have noticed this (if it helps) - in the "seeds" column, there are a bunch of seeds for each download in the brackets, but the number before the brackets in 0 (like 0(83), for example). I suppose it means it can't connect to seeders?

EDIT #2 - OK, one of the slackware torrents has started downloading - but just at 40 kbs. And the number of seeds before the bracket is just 1 (as in 1(83)). The other slackware file is stil sitting at 0.0% The opeoffice is also idle (0.0%).

EDIT #3 - Openoffice also started downloading, but still it doesn't seems it's as fast as it should. The slackware files - one is downloading, but very slowly; the other one still haven't started.. All the other torrents are still dead. Except for one, which is downloading painfully slow.

are you with sky broadband by any chance? I have never had any problems before switching to sky, and it worked for a couple of months before now so i'm not sure if it is the problem, but when i do find some connections they seem to all be .bb.sky.com addresses on the peer list... strange.

check the address of the seeds / peers you do manage to connect to. for me they have all been at the same provider i am with, maybe it will be the case with you too

No... The problem only started yesterday, and i haven't changed anything, not uTorrent settings, not anything on my PC that could affect it. Before that uT worked like a charm.... I think I'll try another BitTorrent prog to check if that one works, but I still would like a fix for uT, since that's the one I'd rather use.

EDIT - OK, I got Vuze and tried downloading one of the torrents that didn't work with uT - and it works. Though rather slowly (I suppose I could fix it by tinkering with the settings a little). But, like I said, I would still like a fix for uT, since I would rather use that one.

EDIT 2 - I shut down uT for a while, restarted it again now - the openoffice torrent is the only one that downloading, but it's going really fast. In fact it's just finished (over 70%, in less then 3 minutes - 130 mb file). All the other torrents, including both slackware ones, are not downloading.

Still nothing for me... I don't get it. I haven't changed anything on my PC to cause this, the port is forwarded properly, I updated from 1.8.4 to 1.8.5 with no change between the versions, other torrent progs seem to work ok (albeit very slowly) and I even get the green circle on my network connection and the arrow next to the torrents is blue, not red....... Yet nothing is downloading. Openoffice torrent was the exception - it downloaded fine. but all of the others are dead... What could have happened?

EDIT - I've discovered some alarming threads about how it's my ISP - bezeqint (Israel) - that's screwing up my downloads... Could this be the case? All the topics about it are pretty dated (several month, at least) and my problems only started the day before yesterday. And if it is the case, is there anything I can do about it? Or am I completely screwed??

EDIT #2 - Interesting.... The problem has apparently fixed itself... I left uT running and started playign a game - and now (after a couple of hours) I see uT is back to working fine... Weird... Anyways, it works like before now. Thanks for the *ahem* help.

High probability that your ISP is still extremely hostile to BitTorrent traffic:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=58932

Encryption-wise, you might get better results doing this:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=46778

or this:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=58714

(NOTE: Those settings were a special case for a wireless ISP, so understand them before you try them!)

Archived