Send magnet link to utorrent on another machine

splendid

My current setup is uTorrent running on an Ubuntu box under wine. I have uTorrent watching my Firefox download folder so that when I save a .torrent file its added to the download queue. I then monitor my downloads via the WebUI.

It seems magnet links are becoming all the rage and I was wondering if someone could suggest a process/firefox extension that would send the link to uTorrent on my remote box and start downloading it.

@tonyhawz - I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean

@Lord Alderaan - I'm using the latest version of uTorrent and can verify I can manually add them using copy and paste in the actual web interface. I'm looking for something more automated where I just click a magnet link and it is loaded in to uTorrent on a remote machine.

That sounds ideal Ultima - except my main machine is a mac :(

Was looking at the WebUI api. The following works if a magnet link is used.

http://[iP]:[PORT]/gui/?action=add-url&s=[TORRENT URL]

The only issue i've found with this is that the description in utorrent is displayed as the actual URL of the magnet link.

So maybe a firefox extension to handle magnet links using the above method to send to a remote uTorrent machine?

Yea i have the same concern with rss and magnet links

i have a page that i submit urls to torrent files now that update my rss feed and then utorrent downloads the file from the rss feed i updated.

i'm wondering if i send over a magnet link if the utorrent rss feed reader will start downloading it.

i sent one over, but i'm not sure if it's working i'm going to have to check when i get home.

I signed up for this forum just now to reply to this thread...

I have the same setup. One desktop wired PC dedicated to downloading 24/7, also running PeerGuardian. My main machine, a laptop, is mobile and can send .torrent files to the dedicated torrent machine over a file share (Hamachi2) so my laptop can be mobile anywhere in the world and still queue new downloads, and access the file share for new media.

I use the WebUI to check on the important downloads, the rest I sort through every week and categorize/store as appropriate.

I want to get into magnets, but need a way to send them to the dedicated machine. Using RDP and loading each magnet on the remote machine is not practical for me (to slow). Currently I don't even use RSS!! I probably should look into taht... since my current click/download/save to remote/wait scheme is slower than RSS probably would be. Not sure if it is fewer steps, though.

BUT if I could skip right to magnets, I won't bother with RSS. So I would love to hear more from anyone (OP?) that found a seamless solution for magnet files on remote machines (PC or otherwise). So keep posting! Thanks

I <3 uTorrent :) I will elaborate on my Hamachi2 setup if anyone wants to know

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I wouldn't normally res such an old thread, but with the major sites now going towards magnet links only, my situation has become dire. I've tried the above mentioned solutions, but it would seem that they are not compatible with uTorrent 3.

Basically I've got the same setup, a server that handles torrent downloading and my main PC saving .torrents over my LAN to a predefined folder. I need to somehow redirect the magnet links when clicking on them from my main PC so that uTorrent on my server is instructed to commence the download. On my android tablet, I use transdroid 1.0.4 to accomplish this, as it associates with magnet links and remotely instructs uTorrent to begin the download. Looking for the same functionality but in Windows 7.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to accomplish this these days? TIA

I copy .torrent URLs and paste them into my WebUI interface. I'm running µTorrent 3. I just tried my usual right-click->copy->paste into the WebUI's "Add Torrent from URL" (the second button at the top) with a magnet link from TPB and this worked exactly like the .torrent files. Give that a try and see if it works for you.

Well that of course works, but that's not what I'm after. Yes I know I'm being picky, but the problem is that I have friends and family (non-techy friends and family) who will not entirely appreciate a solution that involves copying and pasting URL strings into webui. It was difficult enough to explain to these people how to save a file in a directory lol If you've ever done residential PC support then you know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, with the advent of .torrent files going away, I'm just surprised no one has dream't up an install-able magnet link handler, that would work similarly to morrent gadget or transdroid whereby you enter your webui details and the magnet links work through it.

Anyone have any ideas?

This has been driving me nuts, but I finally found a solution!

This extension actually works for remote adding magnets:

https://code.google.com/p/remote-torrent-adder/

Here's the deal - after you set it up, it grabs any torrent or magnet links you click and sends them to your WebUI (no rightclicking needed!)

for me, it says it fails when I try to remote-add magnet links, but when I check the WebUI they are indeed there. I disabled the pop-up so it doesn't keep saying it's failing when it's really not.

Tested on:

Chrome 16.0.912.75m on Windows 7 x64

uTorrent 2.2.1 b25273 on Windows 7 x64

Hope that helps you guys!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived