Download speed doesn't add up while seeding

Pelks

My problem is I am seeding many torrents, but when I am seeding, the download rate is far too high.

Adding up all the download connections of the seeding torrents is far less than I am downloading?

eg. Uploading at 30kB/s but downloading is 15kB/s??

I am using Utorrent v1.8.3 and Windows 7

Anyone have any Ideas?

Adding up all the download connections of the seeding torrents is far less than I am downloading?

And so it should be IMO... A part of your download speed will necessarily be associated with the seeding (upload) activity and I guess you download (data) faster than you upload it... :)

I have noticed something interesting, looks like the download rate stays fairly constant at

around 14-17kB/s when I am seeding and regardless of the upload rate.

I have protocol encryption enabled and allow incoming legacy connections is ticked.

Both Upload and download limits are set to unlimited.

at the moment I have 17kB/s upload and 14.9kB/s download rate.Seeding 80 files.

Well well well... :/ Did I read correctly?... Seeding 80 files (I guess you actually mean torrents) with a total upload rate of 17 Kb/s... let me calculate this... in average 0.2125 Kb/s per torrent left. :rolleyes: You must be a valuable seeder for the community ! :lol:

According to my personal experience (without encryption) it takes about 5% of the "opposite" activity e.g. if you upload 10 Kb/s you (must) "download" 0.5 Kb/s (sort of overhead) and vice versa.

If you upload more or less the same amount than you download (as you stated) being a seeder or a leech there's definitely something wrong somewhere.

I think you should detail properly what you are talking about... (Seeding does not mean actively seeding and file /= torrent ! )

Each active torrent should get at least 2 KB/sec PER upload slot it uses.

So if you have 3 upload slots per torrent, then just 3 active torrents would need 18 KB/sec total upload speed.

Almost nobody wants to download slower than that, especially when piece sizes are 1, 2, or 4 MB.

I downloaded a small program called Netlimiter 3 Pro, and found that one of the svchost processors is responsible for the extra download throughput.

There seems to be many IP addresses under that process and traced one to a small town in the USA which seems to be using a Microsoft server.

When I block that process and IP's, the download rate goes back to normal speed.

The tricky thing now is how to stop it from loading when windows starts up!!

Anyone has any idea's on how to do this.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived