sound breaking after utorrent has been running for more than 2 hours

sapient

• 3 weeks later...

The DPC Latency Checker indicates that some device in the system is causing >1ms latency after a few hours of running uTorrent. Disabling the network interface or closing and restarting uTorrent seems to make the problem go away. Updating to the latest drivers for my network interface does not seem to have any effect.

Conversely, using a different BitTorrent client with a most of my active torrents imported and seeding does not seem to incur the same load on my system. So whether or not it is specifically a driver issue, only uTorrent's level of network traffic seems to trigger it.

If you would give me some application other than uTorrent that can also hammer the crap out of my network, I can try to eliminate that as the cause of the problem. I found one network stress testing application, but it was entirely console based, and did not appear to be automated in any fashion. Something where I can just point it at my router or an unoccupied IP address in my local network and click the start button, although I suppose I can just learn to use that console application I mentioned.

Then again, it may actually be the network drivers, but it seems that uTorrent is the only program I've found so far that stresses my network enough for it to be a problem.

Coincidentally, someone else with the same exact motherboard, a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R, has had the same exact problem with DPC latency, possibly attributed to network stress. I never did get around to replying to the topic that user posted in, and it kind of died months ago, so I'd be resurrecting it just to ask the poster about his downloading or uploading habits.

Here's some more message threads for (vaguely?) similar problems:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=62796

uTorrent causes stuttering

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=65384

uTorrent still causes stuttering

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=64995

UTorrent becomes laggy

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=73262

Whole system starts glitching while downloading with uTorrent

The sound corruption I get as well, particularly the first 5 seconds after I turn off the upload speed limiter to take advantage of ComCast's SpeedBoost (short-term burst speeds).

I do not have a Gigabyte motherboard, I am using an Intel motherboard -- ancient 82801DB AGP motherboard with P4 2.53 Ghz cpu and 512 MB DDR SDRAM. ...And Win 98SE. :P

My hard drive controller is an add-on PCI Promise IDE controller card, which seems to take some load off the cpu with its DMA.

I had the same problem myself.

I start my utorrent and some big torrent > (5gb) and if i start video player or a game, i had my hole system freeze for about 10-15 secs periodically.

I've tried to turn off my firewall entirely, but without success. Those freezes continued.

So i've decided to stop being a lazy guy and looked around in the options of uTorrent.

For some strange and unknown to me reason, the disk write cache was disabled in the options by default.

I've unchecked it along with another option for the memory and i don't have this freezing effect anymore.

You can try this:

Go to Options->Preferences->Advanced->Disk Cache and UNcheck the following:

1. Reduce memory usage when the cache is not needed

2. Disable windows caching of disk writes

Let's hope this will help you too.

This totally fixed it for me. Thanks for the info!

• 1 month later...

hello everyone.

i am experiencing the same problem with utorrent 2.0.2

BUT NOT with 1.8.1.

after running utorrent several hours (i.e. over night) the sound begins to crackle.

solution is to close utorrent and restart the system.

i tried EVERY version of drivers available for my sound chip (ad1988b).

i am a software developer and to me it seems like sth changed from 2.0.2 that causes some crazy api calls to overload?

never developed for microsoft platforms but there must be something wrong... because it once worked in 1.8.1 and before.

maybe it's microsoft failing to decouple sound api code from the rest of the system... as we know, since vista (at least) they've gone crazy -.-

forgot: this doesn't seem to be a hardware manufacturer issue since there are asus and gigabyte products involved.

my system:

m2n32 sli deluxe

4gb corsair xms2

8800gt

many hard drives

windows 7 x64

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi guys!

I´m using a Asus P5K - E WIFI/AP, CORE 2 QUAD 2,4, 4 GB RAM, WINDOWS 7 X64 Enterprise, I ´ve done a fresh install of my OS yesterday, all going right and smooth. When I started to use utorrent I had the same issue than you all.

I´ve tried everything and the ONLY one that worked for me was disabling both Windows and AVAST firewalls.

No more soundbreaking till now. I´ll be testing overtime and keep you informed.

Thanks.

PS: Sorry for my bad english.. lol

• 8 months later...
I believe ms security essentials includes an antispyware component that might be interfering just like some firewalls. Since mse is not available where I live I can't give you specific instructions, but try to disable the antispyware component if possible (I have the similar windows defender off). My problem was clearly produced by the firewall, and I was finally able to diagnose it as follows:

After the problem has started and is severe, run process explorer and double click on the system process. arrange the threads displayed in the new window by cpu usage and identify any threads using any cpu (even a little, like 1-2%) when the computer is idling. Anything other than readyboost (if you have it on) that uses cpu when the pc is idle is the culprit. You can verify this if, after restarting, before the problem begins, the particular thread is not using cpu when the pc is idle, but starts using cpu, even at low levels, after the problem begins. Find which program the thread belongs to and uninstall it.

This :). I have an MSI laptop running W7 64-bit that I bought only a couple months ago. I use foobar2000 for my music. I only noticed the problem with the audio yesterday. The tempo of the track would lag and fluctuate, and it would also produce a crackling noise that went away as soon as uT was turned off. So I went to the process explorer and found a process that was up near the top of the list by CPU usage, along with foobar. It was called a software manager agent, or something. I'm pretty sure it was some of the additonal crap that came on the computer. I disabled the process and the audio problems immediately ceased. I didn't uninstall the program, but if the problem reappears I probably will. Hope this helps somebody.

• 10 months later...

My audio "Stuttering Problem" did not seem to be related to Antivirus, Firewalls, or Drivers that I could tell. What worked for me was reducing the maximum number of connected peers per torrent in [settings Bandwidth]. Try a very low number and see if the problem goes away, if it does sneak back up till it reoccurs then back down a little. As I only have a 30K WiFi connection I was able to find a number that maxed out my speed and still eliminated the stuttering audio. Not sure if this will work for those with higher speed connections but worth a try.

Hope this helps someone.

OLDNGREY

Archived