!UT extension question

Tortuga64

I understand that !UT extension means an incomplete file in uTorrent. But what if the files in the torrent themselves already are all listed with a *.!UT extension (i.e. hello.txt.!UT)? Does this mean those files in that torrent are all presently incomplete? Not sure why someone would post a torrent of incomplete files? Or why someone would find a torrent useful if this is the case. Or is this a known practice and is there something I am not understanding about the *!UT extension and how to configure uTorrent accordingly? To clarify: I tried clicking Preferences->"When Downloading: append !ut to incomplete files" but this only renders them as hello.txt.!UT.!UT until complete then hello.txt.!UT afterwards.

Like there are so many idiots out there... And of course people who like to qualifiy the others as idiots... :o

Anyway to remain objective and talking about facts... The appended .!UT extension actually does not mean anything concerning the real incompleteleness of a file. In other words you cannot say that because a file has the .!UT extension it means that the file will not be usable or complete. Normally uT does remove the .!UT once the file has been checked as complete but as you probably know, with computers it's like with humans, there are the normal cases and the others... ;) So yes of course there should not be a torrent made out of files which are truly incomplete because it would be a waste of time for all the people downloading this stuff (maybe like you... :lol: ) sooo... best thing is to simply remove the .!UT extension and try to use the file, you'll see if it's complete or not! :)

If it is, good for you and all the others who downloaded the torrent without checking the content as far as possible. If not it would be nice for the others to post something as comment so others might not be lured into the same trap. In any case I would advise you to make uT always ask you what files to download (and where to). See Preferences-->UI Settings-->When Adding Torrents-->Don't start the download automatically + Show a window that displays the files inside the torrent. Optionally under Preferences-->Directories-->Uncheck all under 'Location of Downloaded Files'.

Hope that helps...

Archived