Opinions

Grauw

I think there are two flaws in the current toolbar:

1. the delete button is right next to the start button, and has no confirm dialog. I just accidentally clicked on it. I suggest adding a confirm dialog, and putting a separator between the delete and the start button. Actually, I think it would be better to put the delete button next to the stop button (with a separator inbetween).

2. the start/pause/stop buttons don't directly convey their meaning. Start is usually represented by |>, Pause by || and Stop by [], and I think it would be a good idea to stick to that convention. Clicking on those buttons isn't very intuitive to me right now. Maybe the symbols could be embossed on the current icons.

~Grauw

With regard to 2., maybe something like this?

utorrent-toolbar.png

Get the bmp here

There are 4 files: the original Fireworks PNG, and 3 BMP files:

toolbar.bmp: 89 colours (8-bit)

toolbar8.bmp: 221 colours (8-bit)

toolbar24.bmp: 221 colours (24-bit)

The toolbar8.bmp file is the one you're supposed to use, but I found that µTorrent does not show that properly, I had to reduce the amount of colours to 89 to get it to work. Strange? You can consider that a bug report.

The toolbar24.bmp file is 24-bit, and thus bigger, but works properly and shows all the colours (not that there's a really noticable difference with toolbar.bmp…).

~Grauw

I agree that the "remove" does need to be placed to the right of the "stop" button.

Me too...

the start/pause/stop buttons don't directly convey their meaning.

It's easy to understand what they mean (like traffic signals)...but I like your idea. Even though I don't use the default themes anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

It's easy to understand what they mean (like traffic signals)...but I like your idea. Even though I don't use the default themes anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

But the |>, || and [] symbols are more closely related to the action you want to take. I've never seen traffic lights which could be controlled by red, orange and green buttons :).

Hehe :).

Anyways, pressing cassette deck buttons is active, you control something. Traffic lights are passive, they control you (heh :)). That, in addition to the fact that pretty much everything else uses cassette deck symbols for those meanings and that in people's minds, those correspond to the specific actions on a torrent, makes the current icons not entirely 'out of the blue' (if they were a black square, triangle and circle they would ;p), but not really intuitive either.

~Grauw

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived