Something weird happened

torrentator

He's probably just talking about the tutorial to indicate some thought and effort went into creating the torrent. Surprised you can't make that connection.

Did the mystery peer come in via DHT? If you have DHT enabled on a torrent can others find said torrent somewhere? Case in point, µTorrent on my end says DHT: 256 peers even though I have less than 25 seeds/leechers on my active torrents. Who are these 256 DHT peers and what can or can't they do?

Sounds more than likely that your friend changed IPs. Does he have a dynamic IP? (Well, not likely, but more likely than the alternative..)

It's also possible that if you sent him a popular file with the EXACT same contents as a publicly-available torrent (ie. same hash) that a DHT peer could have got on, but it seems unlikely.

Actually, the two IPs resolved to two different addresses. Both addresses was from my ISP, with two different locations specified in it (ie. Cleveland.isp.something, Chicago.isp.something)

I was thinking DHT, but, he's the only one that got the .torrent file. And the tutorial was just to show that I didn't use a public tracker, that I seeded the torrent to him only.

He was getting significant bandwidth from the other connection too...

I might actually know what that is. There is a company that makes a device that "caches" bit torrents to minimize bandwidth use.

http://www.cachelogic.com/products/index.php

From what I read (some time ago) the main backbone providers are putting these things in place to minimize the effects of P2P traffic. This server sniffs packets and when it finds a bit torrent it "jumps on" so that any other users on the network get the files from cache instead of dragging them over the net multiple times.

"The Cachepliance identifies files by hash ID and serves cached P2P content from on-network."

That MAY be what you encountered.

This page:

http://www.cachelogic.com/products/rationale.php

Explains the reason why they created these servers. Apparently P2P traffic is now over 80% of all Internet traffic.

The device sounds kewl, I want my ISP to get one.

Archived